Would you let your almost 13 year old have his own online email account?

We have said no. But he is arguing with us that he wants it for school so that when he is working on something he can send it to his email account. He has a usb stick but says that is too much hassle. He has an email account under our family website but he is still not happy about that. He says we don't trust him I am just scared of what he can sign up for and we won't know anything about it. He says we don't give him any freedom. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• My older kids are 10 and 16. They both have email accounts because school has become VERY computer oriented. He may feel left out of the "loop" at school, by not having an email address. I know that sometimes my daughters teachers will share info back and forth with the kids that way. You can tell him that you must be allowed access to it, to be on the safe side like previous posters have mentioned.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• ...I had an e-mail account at 13.

I don't really see a problem with it. I dunno, he's your kid and it's your decision.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I don't see anything wrong with it. It can be good for group projects and things for school.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You can always moniter it. Like you can do with cable now! LOL
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I maybe old fashion but my answer would be no. A child does not need their own personal email address or cell phone in my opinion. I raised five children and would not have allowed any of them to have access to the computer without supervision. There are too many dangers out there for children and we are warned everyday that children are targets. As a parent, I believe it is our responsibility to protect our children and that includes saying no. If he has the ability to send and receive information for school through a shared family email that should serve his purpose. Don't give a children too much trust and freedom, they don't know what to do with it.
    Anonymous

• No. As for the usb stick: hassle, shmassle. He can use it to get the job done. Tell him to stop stomping his feet like a little boy - the answer is no, stick to it, otherwise he'll learn that he can manipulate you to his advantage.
    Anonymous

• I would let him have the account but I would monitor it very closely and watch what sites he goes to because let's face reality even the so called sites for children can be a place for prediters to find them so I would say yes and respect his privacy to a point but put some rules down first,then put some parental blocks up so they can surf the net safely.
    colamansgirl

Answer by colamansgirl at 11:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• IMHO, no but it's up to you and your DH.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• All my kids have thier own. I set them up through YAHOO which requires a parent. I check their email regularly without asking. That is one of the rules. Also I know all thier passwords.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My girls do and their 12. I have their passwords and I monitor everything on it. I would see if you can block out some of the websites just as a precaution like with cable tv.
    Anonymous