Does it cross the line?

I thought disfiguring the picture of our President was juvenile & highly disrespectful. (Done by another mom in another ques.) Regardless of what you think of the man, or past presidents, you have the freedom of speech to disagree with him, his policies, etc., but the person in office still garners some form of respect- for the plain fact that he's your President (whether you voted for him or not) (& drawing on his picture or photo shopping his picture reminds me of what gets done in Jr. High) Thoughts? *Remember, this is not to discuss whether or not you like him, agree w/ him, or not- but whether the person holding the office deserves your RESPECT as your President!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There is a serious lack of respect in this country. We can agree to dislike or disagree with the President, past or present, but pictures like these are simply disrespectful and childish.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• whether the person holding the office deserves your RESPECT as your President! [mrsmom]

Being President does NOT automatically mean they DESERVE respect. They have to EARN it. And when it comes to politicians, NOT A SINGLE ONE has my respect or admiration. 

As for the cartoons ... Do you take it upon yourself to chastise political cartoonists as well? 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• By the way what is 'the line'? Who gets to determine when it is crossed? Maybe it is a line you have made for yourself that you will not cross :shrugs: but that doesn't apply to me or anyone else.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Personally I feel it is disrepectful and unnecessary.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Good lord. No its not crossing the line.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• So no Chia Obama for you then? Cha Cha Cha Chia!
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Is the office of the president immune to ridicule? NO. Those pics didn't amuse me. But it's not worth getting mad about, either.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• OP. Presidents have been the "butt" of jokes,comics, satires, and OPINIONS forever. Don't like it ? Don't look.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• We are free to post the pictures too..regardless of what some think of them.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• So I guess those of us who see nothing wrong with the pic were raised with no morals or values? I respect someone based on who they are and their character, what they put out into the world. No ones job title gives them respect. Would I have respect for a boss or CEO that slimed and slept her way to the top? Stepping on people, being a hypocrite? NO. Would I respect a CEO that starts their company from the ground up, calls their employees their coworkers, treats them with respect, takes paycuts and refuses bonuses herself so the employees don't have to take on that burden. Absolutely. Respect is earned.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2011