I'm not the only one who this has happened to, right?

This was so embarrassing! I only had a certain amount of money on me, I didn't think I had 70$ worth of groceries in my cart either. Needless to say, I was embarrassed and I think I apologized to the cashier over 10 times for being such a pain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• No. But I saw that happen to the lady in front of me the other day. The sad thing is I really think she was trying to just get some basic necessities and she only had enough to get $20 worth of food. So now we're looking at starting a fund where we keep an extra $100 around so when we see someone that can't buy all their groceries we can step in and help.

It's so heartbreaking to see.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• nope, ive done this before. my ex "borrowed" $100 cash outta my purse and when i got to register, oops! could have killed him, instead i divorced him.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• once when I was expecting our 2nd baby I put my family on a strict cash only budget to try and bump our savings up before the new baby came. One day at superwalmart I got the groceries and other things on my list but then saw some Onesies on clearance and grabbed a few. I went over by like $11 and although I had that in the bank on the debit card, the purpose of the cash budget was to not go over and not use checks or the cash card. .. I promised myself that'd never happen again. Now instead of cash only we use NO cash. cash is never, only for things like the fair and zoo where you really NEED cash
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My husband and I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. Went and bought groceries and a few other necessities and oh my gosh, debit card was gone, credit card too!!!! Seems our toddler had gotten into his wallet! We hardly ever use cash, maybe carrying $20 or less at a time on us so we couldn't even go take money out of an ATM if we wanted to. Talk about feel like a dork hahaha!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I see it all the time! Yes, it's happened to me. No one ever has said anything to me about it. It's just one of those things. I've learned now to hold back a few items until after she gives me the total... that way I can pretty much figure what I have.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I just went to the PO the other day to mail off a few packages. Before I left my house I transfered $20 to my debit card so I would be able to pay. I get there and she tags everything, then gives me my total. I gave her my card and it was declined....twice! I was horribly embarrassed. I wrote a check which I'm SURE looked suspicious, lol. I got home to check the account to see what happened and realized I transfered my money to the WRONG account, oops!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yes-I have gotten to the cash register and had to take things off when I did not have enough-it happens to many of us at one time or another. One day recently I saw a lady take the frozen veggies off -they were generic brand and large size. I'm not sure how short she was on the total but I still feel bad that I did not offer to help her out-since she had kids. Now if her cart was loaded up with junk food I would not have felt that way.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011