Can't eat hot dogs?

I didn't know this is it true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• just heat em up first and ur good to go
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• you're not supposed to because hot dogs contain listeria which is some kind of bacteria or either you can get it somehow from eating hot dogs. I still ate them, but not as often as I use to.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• never heard that either, I ate them
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• aw crap even if you heat them up bxbs?
    Anonymous

• they say just heat them up really good, but I still didn't want to take a chance and eat too many of them...did you know that you're not supposed to eat deli meat either?
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Haha, I had two delicious hot dogs with ketchup and mustard today :D

Just boil them on the stove, grill them, or heat them in the microwave until they're steaming. Weenies go along with the "cold cuts" that you're "not supposed to eat" because of listeriosis. But as long as you heat them up, they're just fine. The heating kills all the bacteria xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• haha i ate like 6 hot dogs the other day :) i was craving them .. and im fine so i s the baby
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 8:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• They don't contain listeria, they CAN contain it.

Deli meats, cheeses, and hot dogs are supposed to be eaten in moderation while you're pregnant. Make sure you cook them thoroughly, and stay away from vendors that don't look like they maintain their food well.

Listeria can be really dangerous anytime, but especially when you're pregnant, so just be careful, and REALLY enjoy the ones you do eat. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The PP is right about the possibility of hotdogs and lunch meat containing listeria. They say to heat them to "steaming hot" and you're good to go.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am reading the paper work my doctor gave me (the list of no-nos) and hot dogs are fine as long as they are steamy hot.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2008