Does anyone have a yorkie?

We're thinking of getting a puppy for our daughter, thanks!

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 6:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I didn't have a Yorkie but I had a Silky Terrier which is a larger version of a Yorkie. She was a great dog but I have heard that terriers are not the best breed for children.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• We have a 15 month old Yorkie. My daughter named him Tiger, she got him as a gft for her 3rd birthday last year.
    Janneth

Answer by Janneth at 6:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The rescuer in me tells me to say that getting a dog for any type of special occasion is wrong. ESPECIALLY if you don't know anything about the breed.

Do some research. Make sure you talk to people who have yorkies and go from there. ABOVE ALL, DO NOT, NOT, NOT, get one from a pet store. THEY ALL come from puppy mills.. ALL OF THEM!!! DO NOT get one from someone who doesn't health check their dogs, breeds them more then twice a year, make sure they aren't kept in kennels and the pups are clean and the parents are available to be viewed.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Okay, thank you Acid! Really appreciate it.
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I grew up with a yorkie and I have handled a lot of yorkies since.

Yorkies are the real fad pet right now, especially with young girls. I would advise against this breed, this is why:

Yorkies are number one dog on my list for house training difficulty, they can really cause headaches in the potty training department. Yorkies are typically loyal to one person in the family, and they cold shoulder everyone else. They are very emotional dogs. They require consistent grooming, their hair tangles easily. They are very persistent and headstrong, and temperaments can be iffy. I have known some yorkies that had bad biting habits. Most of them like to bark at everything and anything. They are extremely intelligent and affectionate, often on their terms. They are also a toy breed, so they can be quite fragile.

For your daughter, my suggestion would be a shih-tzu for an easy to handle, easy to train and a more tolerant dog breed.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 6:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• By the way, Silkies do resemble yorkies, that is very true. However, the personality of the silky is much different from the yorkie. I find the silkies more stable, and better to handle, and definitely better to housetrain. However, I wouldn't really recommend either breed for a child, or first time pet.

Another good choice besides the shih tzu, is a cavalier king charles spaniel...sorry, forgot to mention that one! Maltese are becoming very popular too, but I think the shih tzu and cavalier are easier in my opinion.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 6:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• spottedpony and acid have it right on! small dogs aren't real great with little kids. but there are a select few that do well. good luck!

and adopt, not shop! lol.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Dog sat two of them for about a year - they are a lot of work, grooming, bathing, and require A LOT of attention.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011