Has anyone tried freecycle.com?

I've heard of this site and wanted to know if it was a good site to use. I know that a lot of people give away free items when they no longer need it, but I am concerend about meeting strangers just for free items. Has anyone had success with using this site?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've been using freecycle for years and it's great. It costs you nothing and you can both get stuff you want & get rid of stuff you no longer need or want. If you don't want folks coming to your home to pick up stuff, you can go to a public place like a mall parking lot. If you don't want to go to someone's home, you can do make arrangements to meet them somewhere public, too, but be advised that all ppl will agree to do that. Many ppl do porch pick-ups, where they'll leave it outside & you just go & get it on an agreed upon day. It's really a great system!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have used this site for years. You can always meet ppl in a neutral location. I also usually bring hubby with me when I go to get an item.
    stormyvawn

Answer by stormyvawn at 6:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I use it a lot! I leave items on the porch for pick up frmo whoever I chose. You can also meet in a public place if you'd rather. When my husband is home I'll meet the people at the door. Just don't give out too much info and if you're scared, leave it on the porch. You never have to see them that way :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No you do not. Who says you even need to use a name? I would leave it at the email...give them your addy if you pick them.

One piece of advice, sometimes you'll leave something out and the person won't show up. Make sure to give them a guideline. I tell the person I'll leave it out for them but if it's not picked up that day then it gets offered to someone else. I hate playing those games, lol.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I've used it. Most of the time, people leave things on their porch, or I leave them on mine. I've only met face to face a couple of times, and always at a public place, like Starbucks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Okay, that sounds good to me. I need some things and I was not comfortable having them come to my house. Meeting up in a public place sounds great. Do you have to give your real name?
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No but this sounds interesting. Hmmm??
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 6:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• MyOpinionCounts, thanks for your post, I had no idea that they charge for membership, I can't pay for a membership right now.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have NEVER paid for a membership. You must be thinking of something else?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• http://faq.freecycle.org/faq/faq/my_16
    From the site:
    Does Freecycle or Yahoogroups cost ? Is there a fee ?

There are no fees or charges at all, to use Yahoogroups, or Freecycle.

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011