Do you make your children go to church if you aren't going?

CometGirl

Asked by CometGirl at 6:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, but my mom used to that to us! My dad was the one who did the church thing with us but he worked shifts so when he was on day shift or night shift my mom would drop us off and then she'd go meet a friend for breakfast! Thing is, I never cared or even asked where she was b/c I loved sunday school & church. It wasn't until recently that it came up in conversation between us and I found out about her going to breakfast! I will not do that to my kids though...we go together!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No, we go to church together as a family.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• well my DD goes to Wednesday night church w/ my mom (DH & i dont go), but i dont make her go (shes only 2). its just part of her fun grandma day and she really loves it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• that'd be impossible, seeing that he's only 5yo and cannot drive himself to church. why would i make an older child go, if i didn't go myself? its not a 'do as i say, not as i do' situation. its a 'do as i do'..we set an example.
    either way, its not a problem, and i don't expect it to be anytime soon. he loves going to church, even if its just to interact with other kids and learn new things/songs/crafts. i could see how easy it'd be for a child to 'change his mind' and decide they didn't want to attend services if the parents didn't go.
    that whole concept of making sure your kids go, but the parent doesn't, is ridiculous. not to mention, hypocritical.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No. Like Renee3K said. We go to church as a family.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• We go to Mass as a family.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My mom sent me and my brother and little sister on the church bus when we was kids and i would make my kids go with me when the was little but now that my sixteen year old is older she has friends that goes to chruch so she goes with them while i go by myself.
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 7:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Not totally, he is 4 so he can't go on his own. I used to work Sundays and my friend watched him and brought him to her church then. Her kids had an option to stay home but he always went.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 8:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No...not even if she was old enough...why would I?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2011