BF IN PUBLIC?

I havent done it yet. i dont get out much but my man doesnt want me to do it so he buys formula for when we do go somewhere but my daughter doesnt seem to like it.

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 7:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• As long as women attempt to keep covered and don't do it in restaurants or where people are eating I don't there there's anything wrong with feeding your child in public. I just don't want to see nipples when I'm eating!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Tell him to stop wasting money! There's no reason NOT to feed baby where ever you are. If you didn't nurse, you'd have to pump... so would he rather you pump in public? haha... seriously, just layer your shirts, pull one up and one down and practice getting baby latched on at home in front of a mirror. My DH gave me a hard time about it at first, too... but he eventually got over it. Baby's gotta eat! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Have you ever tasted formula?? It's awful!! You can also pump for when you're in public, if you aren't comfortable with it. I'm one of those promote breastfeeding by showing others it's normal types, so I'm all for public breastfeeding. It's not like you have to take your top of to do it. I used to wear a tank under my shirts, something that matched, and I'd pull up the top shirt and down the tank, and that way, very little was actually exposed. Plus, the baby will cover the "good stuff". It's a very personal decision, but if it means yoir baby is getting more breastmilk, then you might invest in a pump, or ease into public nursing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• lol i absolutley agree i wouldnt want to see that either. i would def cover up. but she gets frustrated with the bottle and doesnt seem to like the formula. i dont like formula either id much rather give her BM.
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• we never got a pump becuase we didnt think we would need it. but i did try the hand expression it took forever but it did work. but when we go somewhere hes always rushing so i dont get time to do it. and i would rather BF. I dont kno why he is like that. but im not giveing her the formula naymore she doesnt like it and she gets constipated when we do give it to her poor thing. Ill just have to go somewhere private and do it and cover up. but alot of people seem to look down at BF in public and they make it out to be something dirty which its not. Its a natural thing and i think its whats best for baby!!
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Nothing wrong with nursing in public. I used to just throw a light blanket over my shoulder and baby. I believe they have special nursing covers for that purpose these days...but not sure. Nursing your child is the most natural thing in the world....seeing a mom nurse her baby is just one of those things that makes me smile.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You can even get a hand pump, which is less expensive than a mechanical one. I used the Medela Harmony, and I LOVED it! One great way to build up your freezer stash is to pump while you nurse-baby one one side and pump on the other. You will get the benefit of the hormone release, which will give you WAY more milk than pumping alone. Then you can just take what you need when you go out, ask somewhere for a cup of hot water, and defrost! Super easy!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I was weird about breast feeding my first in public but by the time I had my second I was totally past it! AS a conservative person, You learn all the tricks, like using a blanket to cover, sitting in the furthest corner facing away form every one. Learning who has family bathrooms with a nursing chair. Places like Target and Wal-Mart you can use the dressing rooms! At the park use the bench furthest away and face away from the path. There are very modest ways of publicly nursing you just have to get creative.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I used to nurse in public and I don't think many people had any idea I was nursing! If we were in a restaurant, I would ask for a back booth, and would cover my son up w/ a blanket.

Some men are really weird about BF, esp in public. So are some women though. But, to each his own.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It's perfectly ok to breastfeed in public. Just use a blanket or get one of those cute little nursing covers to make yourself more comfortable. It's not about "your man" it's about your baby's nutrition and what you're comfortable with as a mother. Formula isn't poison. It's a healthy alternative to breast milk but it's not something you should feel obligated to give your baby just because your boyfriend or husband doesn't want you to breast feed in public. By the way, you can always pump and store the milk in bottles to go. Breast milk stays good for hours at room temperature or you can pack it in a cooler with an ice pack. It takes a little while to get used to breast feeding in public vs. the comfort of your home but it gets easier with time and practice.
    courtloux_128

Answer by courtloux_128 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2011