How old should your daughter be to wear makeup? How much make is enough?

My DD is almost 14 and in the 8th grade.

stormyvawn

Asked by stormyvawn at 7:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• high school age. like 14-15 and i think eye shadow, eye liner, and maybe mascara is enough for that age.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I let my daughter wear make up when she started junior high. And I let her wear whatever she wanted. I have to say, she does a very good job of it! Much better than I did at her age.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 7:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have a 12 yr old in middle school. I've just recently begun to allow her to wear a small amount of blush and light eyeshadow. (I picked out the colors for her). so far she's done very well with it, but of course I helped her at first so she'd learn to use just a small amount and not just goop it on or put it on really dark.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I'll let mine start to wear some lip gloss at 14, mascara and lip gloss at 15, and a full face at 16.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The rule in our family, meaning being passed down for several years, is no makeup until you're 12. Even then it's minimal. No mascara or eyeliner until high school, no crazy eyeshadow colors, lip gloss not lipstick and no dark blush. When they get into high school we re-evaluate.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 9:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My daughter is 13 in 8th grade. She wears makeup and is actually very good at applying it. I did take her to the clinique counter for foundation and blush. They have a new product called acne solutions foundation. She wears eyeshadow and mascara also.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I let my daughter start wearing makeup on a reglar basis around 12. For school it's only lip gloss and mascara but other than that she's free to wear whatever she wants. She's 15 now and for the most part she is very tasteful.
    JanetR74

Answer by JanetR74 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My 2 daughters were allowed to wear makeup at 13 and I allowed them to wear as much as the school allowed (they went to a catholic school) they are 16 and 18 now and the both don't wear too much
    kathier

Answer by kathier at 9:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 16 works for me. BTW, your daughter is BEAUTIFUL and does NOT need any makeup.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well, she doesnt need any make up...tell her that ;) But some light eye shadow, mascara, and a light lip gloss is fine. Plus as she gets older maybe it will make her realize...it should only be simple when it comes to makeup. No need to go all out.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011