Best exercise to strengthen legs...?

I have to becareful as I have bad knees with very little cartlidge.

stormyvawn

Asked by stormyvawn at 7:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Squats, lunges, chair sit against the wall, cycling, jumping, all of it is good. Each exercise hits different muscles, so it's hard to pinpoint one exercise that is best. Variety is the spice of life, and the key to avoiding injury. You don't want to overdevelop one area and no balance it with the antagonistic muscles.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I agree with squats and lunges

Answer by admckenzie at 7:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• squats and lunges are not easy for those with bad knees....you ladies have to understand that those with little cartidlige have their knees crack/click when walking or going upstairs and lunges and such can hurt and make it feel like you're about to dislocate your knees and fall to the ground in pure agony!

OP, I have a tiny in-operable tear in a ligament in my left knee and torn cartilidge in my right (causes my knee to not be able to fully straighten)....but I am able to do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos. Especially since you can start at a basic slower pace 1 mile video....it really can help strengthen your legs and butt. Not only am I losing weight overall but my jeans have become very baggy in the butt and thighs from it. I'm able to do 4 fast miles a day, and with the faster pace my knees do crack for a few minutes until the joints are nice and warmed up!

Good Luck!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• No squats or lunges. That is not good for your knees. I would try some water aerobics and swimming to get those legs in shape.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Not squats or lunges. I totally agree with low or no impact aerobics, such as water aerobics.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Stair climber machine.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• squats, lunges, walking
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Walking on incline can burn a ton of calories and strengthen your legs. If you do leg exercises, start with low weights and just do a higher set of reps (like 12 instead of 8). But I'd start with walking and increase incline as time goes on. As your legs get stronger, you'll find it easier to do other exercises because the muscles will help put less strain on your knees. Also work on your core and hips - a strong core will take a lot of strain off your knees too. When you build strength, you'll find your knees hold up a lot better to things like leg exercises and running!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 12:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• water aerobics is better on your joints
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Walking, lunges, squats, do its slow & in moderation.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2011