my husband has had a vasectomy and has gone back and gotten his check up and got a neg sperm count result. I am still afraid that I can get pregnant the last time i had my period was the beginning of last mo. and I am stil waiting to get my period this mo. Can i still get pregnant even with a neg result or am i over reacting?

Shantymomof4

Asked by Shantymomof4 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's a good idea to get two clear counts, just in case. Chances are that you're fine, though. My husband had his done almost 6 years ago and every now and again I worry about it too.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• it almost seem like i worry about it every mo that we have unprotected sex. i'm one of those people that get pregnat even on the pill twice so i'm peradoid.
    Shantymomof4

Comment by Shantymomof4 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I understand that. We worry for years about an accidental pregnancy, and then we're suddenly told it's nearly impossible. It's a weird adjustment. Almost seems too good to be true. If I was a few days later for my period, I would start to panic, even a couple of years after his vasectomy. I think getting a second clear count could ease your mind. I wouldn't let my husband near me until he had two, I was so paranoid about getting pregnant again, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Anything is possible. So it is better to check with a test.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I thought you had to get more than one negative just to be safe.... (It's been a while though). I've been through 2 with two different men. One's came back negative right away, the other it seemed to take forever!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• it came back neg right away for us and it will be a yr next mo sice we had the deed done lol but i just worry
    Shantymomof4

Comment by Shantymomof4 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• There is still that 1% chance of getting pregnant. I had a pregnancy test done 6 months ago, because my period was 3 weeks late, but it was negative, i guess i am starting to go through early stages menopause. LOL I sure would be weird to have a baby younger than my grandkids. LOL It would be weird for my 24 & 27 yr. old to have a baby brother or sister. LOL
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It's much less than 1% after a clear count. http://www.vasectomy-information.com/articles/october2006.htm

"So what are the chances of a vasectomy rejoining after the all clear has been given? This is known as late recanalization, and is in fact very rare. It develops in only about one in 4,000 (0.025%) of vasectomies. It has been known to occur as late as 17 months after vasectomy3."

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• ok so what are the chances of me getting pregnant when they cartarized (spelling) him during the procedure? I took a test last night and it came out neg. but i'm 3 weeks late. could my body just be going through changes after all the shock it had in a 4 yr spand?
    Shantymomof4

Comment by Shantymomof4 (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 0.025% after a clear count.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2011