has anyone heard this ? a baby being born at 7 months has higher chance of living then at 8 months

I heard this years ago. They said that a baby was better off being born at 7 months instead of 8 months because of their lungs. I can't remember the exact reason. Just something to do with how their lungs are developed. That they start developing different at 8 months. I don't know, but if anyone has any information on this I'd love to know, or even know if it's true.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ive never heard that. Id say its a myth.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I've always heard that as well. And because of the lung development is the exact reason I've heard it.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 7:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• A friend of mine just had a baby that was born 2 days before 7 months.......while she was pregnant and in the hospital the doctors told her that they were trying to keep the baby in her for as long as possible because of his lung development (so I am guessing that it's a myth). He lived for 18 days before passing away.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I read this on a site.

according to our teacher..
    7months baby undergoing fetal stage has developed it's lungs, as it's lungs is in high function or surfactant than on 8 months..
    as the baby reaches it's 8 months the function of it's lungs depleted because he doesn't needed it yet..that's why it's better to give a pre-term birth in 7 months than in 8 months although 8 months baby can also survive but it's became risky..
    but it's still better to give birth at 9 mo.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_7_months_premature_baby_is_safer_than_8_months_premature_baby#ixzz1BoVuMhdM
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• But I still am not convinced....but Im not a dr either! lol Good question!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I know I really don't know what to believe. I go to the dr. on Feb 8 and I'll ask him and see what he says. I'll let you know!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i heard if heartbeat is strong it's most likely a boy.... not true.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011