Low Iron

Okay so when I go donate plasma I've been getting sent hom e A LOT for low iron I've been taking Iron pills with vitamin C but still to low. What else can I do to help my iron get higher?

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 7:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Health

• Low iron means you are anemic, id tlk to your gp to see what they would like you to take. My dd was anemic, but after being on an iron liquid med. For 8 months, she is fine now.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Red meat and green lefty vegetables are rich in iron. Google 'iron rich foods' for different foods that will help raise your iron level.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Are you taking the over the counter type of iron and vitamins? If so, you may be like me....my body does NOT assimulate the usual over the counter stuff or the stuff dr.s give pregnant women. Try going to a natural health food store and purchase some iron AND calcium from them. (The calcium acts as a catalyst for the iron). You might also want to try an instant protein to boost your vitamin intake. Shaklee vitamins always worked well for me but dont know if they are still in business...a health food store is probably your best bet.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I had this problem growing up and I was told that I had a choice... that really nasty medacine or chicken liver... which is HIGH in iron but a required taste to choke down!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Spinach leaves... they are in the salad section are high in it too
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Go to your doctor for health advice :)

I'm sure there are things you can eat to improve iron absorbency.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I just got out of the hospital after being diagnosed with anemia. My hemogoblin (?) count was 3, SERVERY low!! Doc couldn't figure out why I was even still functioning. But if you do think you have anemia, do not take iron any iron pills intil u talk to your doc first! . Cause if the iron loss is from intestinal bleeding, taking iron pills may delay the diagnosis of a serious problem such as a bleeding ulcer or colon cancer. If the anemia is not due to iron deficiency, taking iron pills will not relieve the anemia and may cause poisoning (iron toxicity) or iron overload which will get u sick too. So if u do end up getting diagnosed with anemia, u can eat these iron-rich foods which includes meats, eggs, and whole-grain or iron-fortified foods. You can also get iron from many other foods, including peas, beans, oatmeal, prunes, and figs. Iron-rich foods include meats, eggs, and whole-grain or iron-fortified foods.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You will although, get the most benefit from iron pills if you take them with vitamin C or drink orange juice like u have been doing. Just do not take your iron pills with milk or other calcium rich foods or supplements, or antacids. Food that may contain caffeine like chocolate or coffee ect. Foods with high fiber such as bran, whole grains, nuts, and raw green vegetables. Iron is best absorbed if taken on an empty stomach.
    All this info I just told u was from my discharge papers from last week. So good luck.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Iron is best absorbed if taken on an empty stomach and by drinking OJ like u have been doing. But unless u get an upset tummy, eat something of course. But a few things to avoid taking at least 2 hrs before or 2 hrs later is, beverages high in caffeine, milk or other calcium-rich foods or supplements. And avoid high-fiber foods, such as bran, whole grains, nuts, and raw green vegetables. I got all this info from my discharge sheet from when I went to my doc last week.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• cut out dairy products. Too much dairy can block the absorption of iron.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011