Are your kids on facebook?

I was really surprised when my ten yr old came home from school on friday insisting she get on facebook. Evidently a lot of kids in her class have accounts. I told her absolutely not. She was welcome to get on mine, but she could NOT have her own.

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 8:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Heck no. There is no reason for it, but plenty of reason for not having it!

I did allow my daughter to have a "blog" once at age 9. She wrote all of her poetry there. It was marked "private" so no one could see it except Grandma, who I put on her friend's list. My daughter didn't even know you could request friends. She also didn't have the password, so she couldn't use it w/o me. To her, it was just a really neat way to keep her poems.

By the way, aheuszel, my brother's ex does that so she has access to my brother's life with his new wife (btw his wife cheated and left him...so why stalk him??). Both my brother and his wife have her blocked...she found another way in instead via the kids. SAD...
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 11:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Nope, and when they're 9-12 they won't be either.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have 2 teens that are on there and my 10 year old has one, I make sure to check it and be sure that I am okay with the friends that he has on there and monitor what all he does on there. It is just like with anything else on the computer, you have to monitor it!!
    SharMarEpp

Answer by SharMarEpp at 8:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Hell no!
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My daughter has had one since she was 12, and my granddaugter has had one since she was nine. They were each very closely monitored, and neither one EVER accepts a friend request from someone they don't know. My daughter is now 17, and she was recently approached by some guy who she immediately blocked. She found out later that a friend of hers was approached by the same guy, and we discussed how dangerous it was for her friend to even talk to the guy. Like anything else, I think that if you supervise, and communicate with your children on a regular basis. It can be okay. By communicate I mean talk to them about everything and everyone in their lives. There are NO secrets between my kids and me, there never has been and never will be.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My step son came home from his Mom's and while he was at school my husband and I both got friend requested from him but it turned out his Mom made him one while he was visiting one weekend. He's 9 and way to young to be on facebook.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wow, that's a bit disturbing!
    derosia_mama

Comment by derosia_mama (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Doesn't it say in Facebook's terms that you MUST be 14 to have an account?????
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yes, it says something like that, but no one really sticks to it.
    derosia_mama

Comment by derosia_mama (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• my daughter has one but she is 15
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 11:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2011