i am going to strangle her!!!

Not literally but my 19 month old daughter is driving me insane. My first daughter was sweet and well behaved but this child is a monster. I keep thinking I am the same person who raised the first so why is my second such a terror. Sometimes she is playing but she pinches, scratches, runs at us, bites, fusses and I'm at my wits end. I am due for another baby in less than a month and I don't know if I can handle it. What on earth can I do calm her down???? I try talking to her, directing her to a different task when she gets destructive, time outs, spanking her hands (and Im against that)...please help I think I need super nanny!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Haha, reading your question I was like 'did I write that?'. My 19 month old is a terror too! You basically described my daughter when you were describing yours. I don't have any better advice than what you've already tried, but you're not alone. I will get out the toothbrush and toothpaste when mine is having a fit and then she's happy brushing her teeth. Also another thing that sometimes works for me is saying 'let's go bye bye' and then going for a walk to the store to get a little carton of milk or something just to get out of the house. Oh and another thing my toddler likes is getting naked and playing with a dish of water and a paint brush in the bath tub, that almost always works for me for tantrum distraction.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Ok cmon on ANON she didn't MEAN literally she even said that goodness! You have to understand terrible two's can come on early! i know its stressful hun PM me I am going though similar things with my DD.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Is your older daughter rough with her? She has to be learning it from somewhere..... Just be patient with her, praise her when she is being good...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• That's funny because I was going to suggest watching some Super Nanny, lol.  Maybe she needs more attention.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• She is being a little kid. My 23 month old is acting similarly. She does not know any better. I put my dd in time out, in her bed or high chair, when she is being uncontrollable. She has learned that type of behavior is not nice, and she has to be more careful. Also, give her an outlet. My DS draws for his outlet. He will draw and color for hours to help with his frustrations. If she starts getting rough, have her run it out somewhere. Draw her attention away from her actions. When she starts to bite or hit or push, tell her "No, hitting is not nice, it is mean. We do not hit." Then she her something else. I am teaching my 23 month old her ABC's, so I will ask her to show me a letter. No matter what breakthroughs you make, she may regress when baby is born. I know how it can be. My oldest 2 are 19 months apart, and my youngest 2 are 18 months apart. Good luck, and congrats!!

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Wow I can't believe you're having problems w/ her being physical when you're saying you're going to strangle her!
    Anonymous