How do you lose weight after being on steroids?

I just recently got off steroids. I've been on them in conjunction with chemo. Before going on chemo I had lost 135lbs. I was finally to my ideal weight, then got put on high doses of steroids. I have gained 80 lbs of that back. I'm SO FRUSTRATED!! What is the best way to lose it? My eating has never changed. I eat very healthy since I am also hypoglycemic.

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 8:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Increase your water intake and decrease your sodium intake.

Start an organized exercise program, this can be cardio or weight-training-based.

Increase intake of choline, inositol, Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids. Food-based intake is best, as it is 80% more bioavailable than a supplement pill.

Reduce your stress through yoga, meditation or prayer and decrease caffiene intake as it raises the body's production of cortisol.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 5:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I am pretty sure that the weight you gained from the steroids will come off pretty easily after you stop taking the drug. Just concentrate on eating well, since you need to do that for your health anyway. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Whatever you did before should work again.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i just got off a course of steriods lasting 5 months, and being preggers... when i come off the steroids, simply eating healthy and walking gets me back down to my original weight.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I've heard the weight will come off. Good luck, hope you're healthy now!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think the weight will come off after your done w/ steriods.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It sounds like you are already eating healthy, I bet that with moderate exercise (walking a few times a week, etc.) the weight will come right off. It may take a little while to get started because your body needs to get used to not having the steroids. Best of luck to you!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Hopefully now that you're off the steroids the weight will come off. I'd jsut start out with light exercise. Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 7:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If you're eating the same, and healthy, the weight SHOULD start to come off naturally once the steroids stop. Like PhilsBabyMama said, start out with some light exercise and work up to a good cardio workout to help nudge it along.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it can take some time for your body to function normally after the steriods, I know it is for my friend. Just be patient, continue eating healthy, drink plenty of water, and get exercise.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011