When putting 2 babies in a room together...

I have a 15m old and a 2 1/2 yr old. They have always had separate rooms. However, we will be moving into a 2br apt in the near future. For now we are at my parents, they are in sep rooms here. But I think I should put the babies crib in the room where my older and I are sleeping. So they get used to it. They are both terrible light sleepers and the last couple nights have not been fun, being up for a good 2 hour stretch when the baby wakes, he isn't going back down....since he isn't in his own room....so I take him into bed with my other son and I. Because everyone's gotta sleep!!
My question is, what are suggestions for this transition? Do I ignore them if they are up there messing around, do I just lay down in there for a few days until they get to sleep?? This is honestly something I never wanted to happen until they were older....because neither sleep through the night yet. Which is exhausting still as it is. And the daddy is kind of out of the picture right now. So it's all me. What to do?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at first when i put my toddler and preschool in the same room it was horrible for the first week but i had to be consistant and show them i wasnt playing around. after a week they went to bed like they should. bbut we also have a rule if ur not tired u lay in bed n play with your light station(crayola) or you may play quietly but if i hear you then its trouble!LOL
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• My 4 month old sleeps in my bed, don't care what anyone else thinks, but she really sleeps because of it. She only wakes up 2 times a night to nurse. She goes 4-6 hours between feedings. If it really isn't a problem for you, then put them in bed with you. Put one kid to bed before the other. This is what I do with my kids. I put one to sleep, then the other. Also, if one wakes in the middle of the night, just keep them in their beds. If they are all in the bedroom with you, just lay them down, and do not acknowledge them if they are rolling around. Also, I let my kids read until they fall asleep. It helps them relax and get sleepy. However, only worry about this if you choose to keep them in their beds. Good luck with everything.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• i saw octomom on Oprah and saw she uses the coolest crib cover. its a plastic cover you place over the crib, it does allow for head room and it zips up. the kids cant crawl out. maybe this would help you. you dont want to get into habit of picking them up everytime they cry at night (if they are dry and fed).
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't get them in the habit of sleeping in your bed, unless this is what you want them to do. I'd put them in their room, and if they don't fall right to sleep right away, then they will eventually. And in a few days they'll be tired enough that they'll go to sleep sooner.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I don't mind all being in a bed. The oldest has been doing this for a few months....once he started to realize daddy's here then he isn't. And this transition of moving is going to be hard on both of them. Especially once the older realizes daddy isn't coming back I guess. So sleeping with me, if it helps them feel secure and loved, then so be it.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011