Should we get a dog??

We're thinking of adopting a dog this spring. We have an acre of property and more than half of it is fenced in, lots of space to run, we also have a nice neighborhood that is about a mile round trip for a nice walk, my kids are almost 6 and 4. I work from home so we are *always* around. I think the set up is perfect. Here are my concerns: We have all wood floors, are they going to get ruined? Is my house going to smell like dog? Am I going to be vacuming up fur every day?? I know we will love it like another member of the family, but after living without a dog my entire adult life I'm feel a little gun shy...let's hear your thoughts! Thanks =)

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 9:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Your floors - We have all hardwood throughout and our dogs haven't done any damage. We've had the most damage to our floors since our daughter has become a toddler, what with all her toys and all, though the damage is minimal and not all that noticeable.

Smell - Depends on the breed, IMO. We have Whippets and our house does not smell like dog and I only bathe them maybe once every couple of months. They are a very clean breed. One of them has gas like nobody's business, so the smell of dog farts is the norm, unfortunately.

Vacuuming - Depends on how much of a neat freak you are and how bad the dog sheds. I sweep about once a week. Twice would probably be better, but I just don't care that much. I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone stopped by unannounced. My aunt OTOH has a mutt that sheds horribly. She just has a Roomba vacuum at night while everyone is sleeping.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Glad to hear your checking into all of this BEFORE you get the dog. You see so many people on Craig's list who think animals are disposable. Makes me so sad. Good luck~~sounds like you'll be a good dog owner.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I the kids are expected to be the primary care-givers, NO. If you are expecting to do a bulk of the work, sure. A dog may/may not do the following: ruin floors, smell badly, shed a lot, eat toys, vomit on the clean laundry, eat the dirty laundry, pee in the house, etc ...

Talk to a local vet clinic about dogs, breeds, ages and what might be most appropriate for your situation. All dogs come with thier own lists of pros/cons!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do

This will give you an idea about the breed of dog that will more suit your family, now with that said, I know you're going to be adopting, so all you have to do is seek out a rescue in your area that fits the dog you're looking for. For just about every breed of dog, there's a rescue group, so please make sure you do your homework before taking on a furry family member.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I have actually been doing tons of research and have figured out which breeds would be best for us, whether to get a puppy or an older dog, the benefits of crate training, etc. etc. etc.. We know that doing this means we are a *forever* family, we are not taking this lightly. I guess I'm just looking for some insight, I'm always nervous before big decisions!
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I think if you've have done the research and are willing to put the time and effort into raising and training a dog, then that means are ready to take on the responsibility. If you are worried about your floors being ruined, you can try something called soft paws which are plastic claw covers that should protect your floor as long as your pup doesn't mind wearing them.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The fact that you ask these questions shows your responsibility as a future pet owner...I recomend the Golden Retriever, if you have kids. They don't have a mean bone in their body..if you get one properly bred...you get what you pay for. Fur is a part of pet life, so if you are OCD about that, pass. If not, I say go for it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011