Itching and pain 3.5 years after a C-section?

Two nights ago, my C-section scar started itching like crazy, and then most of yesterday it was painful and a bit red-looking -- it felt like a hair being continuously pulled, but along the whole length of the scar, and there was nothing visible that seemed like it would be causing this sensation. This is the only discomfort I've had since the surgery, excepting some itchiness the next summer, which was to be expected. I've had another pregnancy and birth (via VBAC, 21 months ago) with no problems whatsoever in that area. The pain is gone today, and the redness as well.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 9:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Health

• The skin may have been dried and irritated. Did you scratch it at all? If you did it may be the reason why it looks all red. Try some neosporin(sp?) on it. If it gets worse I would go see your doctor.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I had my last one almost 3 years ago ( my first one almost 5 year ago ) ... and I still have those feelings alot... sometimes it gets irritated when i scratch it and I also have some hair growing there too...my Dr said it was normal ( i asked at a check up ) ...

It is also still numb I can actually pinch it and barely feel it.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• its normal & it sucks my friend has the same prob & my husband who had his appendix out like 15 yrs ago still feels pain from his scar which is the same.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Yep. Mine still inches sometimes, and I thought I had hives there a few weeks ago, turned out it was just dry skin that I inched too much...but its also still numb so it feels weird to itch it...oh I had my csection almost 5 years ago!
    addynbellasmom

Answer by addynbellasmom at 10:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• the same here. had mine 9 yrs. ago!! as long as u keep it clean and always try to check it once in a while to see if it's red or irritated.
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2011