Is it hard to adopt children?

I want to adopt a few kids one day and I've heard that it can be a long and drawn-out process. Is it really that hard to adopt? Please give me some advice on this matter.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Adoption

• I work at a foster to adopt agency in Texas. I place children who have been neglected and/or abused into foster and then adoptive homes. It takes about 2 months to become a verified foster parent (no charge for homestudy) and then you have to foster for 6 months before you can adopt. Thats it! The only thing you pay for is fire inspection and first aid/cpr; FBI fingerprints ($55) and a few other incidentals (not much). The state gives parents a year to get their act together before determing that reunification isnt possible -- but their are thousands of children whose rights have already been terminated. Good luck to you!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• In the USA it takes between 1-2 years to adopt. Longer if your adopting a child who is not in the USA. But either way its a long drawn out process.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Never adopted before, but I've heard it's pretty hard. I would just do some research.
    Find an adoption agency. Make some phone calls. Ask some questions.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It depends on what route you go and what specifics you are open to in your adoption. We adopted and were matched with BMom within 4 months of our homestudy being approved. Was it hard? No. Was it long and drawn out? No. But that's just our story.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The term adoption is pretty broad. You need to start doing your homework and becoming educated now. There are tons and tons of ways to adopt, etc. All of them aren't "hard" or "drawn out" but you typically do have to get a homestudy and several other things.

Good luck on your journey :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011