Any other mothers who couldnt wait to potty train their lil one?

Im so antsy because I can't wait. I can't wait to start another step in dd growing up. I think I will start in a week or two because I feel as if my dd is 100% ready.

sweetpea1217

Asked by sweetpea1217 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Developmentally, children usually are making the connection from brain to bladder by age 2 3/4 - 3 years of age.
    It's hard to potty train sometimes. I've seen (from a childcare provider's point of view of 28 years) parents say their child was potty trained but when you ask if they are getting them to the potty on time they say yes. That tells me it's the parent who is trained.
    There is some great info on this on this site...http://www.zerotothree.org/baby-brain-map.html
    Also this site..http://www.ask-nanny.com/child-development.html but most of all with potty training...http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/toilettraining.cfm
    I'm trying to remember the site... American academy of Pediatrics there is a site I bookmarked that actually says what a child normally can do by age 2 1/2 on out. By the time they are 3 y/o they can plot a course and plan how to put a toy down, go potty, dress, wash hands and get back to toy. Interesting.
    FierceMomBear

Answer by FierceMomBear at 8:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Why do you feel that she is ready?

If she isn't staying dry during naps, telling you when she is wet, shows interest in going to the potty, then she is not ready.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Grrr, my 3 1/2 year old still isn't potty trained. Knows how to go, when he needs to go, and just won't go. Even when we remind him or take him to the potty. Very frustrating.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I totally understand how you feel. My 2 year old likes to sit on the potty, pees in the potty (occasionally) and knows what to do, but refuses to do it 75% of the time.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• One thing is true... if you potty train a child and you just had a baby, moved or are going through a marital change that isn't a great time to pt. They could even regress. Starting a child too soon is unfair to the child. I know it's hard and wanting to start them soon because you are excited. I was excited with mine and I tried to pt my eldest at 2 yrs... I felt like I was beating my head against the wall.
    Then I took a provider class on pt and then the light dawned. I've pt several children in all those years and I've found that if they tell you they need to go and don't feel comfortable (no pull ups) in wet pants then you have half the battle won. lol NO berating the child ever. Never scold ever ever ever. They will shut down. I've seen it. Boys are fun to pt because you can use cheerios in the water and they like to shoot them. Good luck. Pt is a very exciting time!
    FierceMomBear

Answer by FierceMomBear at 8:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011