Can someone identify this rash, please?

My sister's 3 week old baby has a rash that began around his mouth and has now spread down his neck and is on his chest. it is a rash (when described to me, i thought a first baby acne but it's spread so fast) and there are pustules. Does anyone have any ideas? i'm really worried b/c i think it sounds like impetigo, in which case i would tell her to go to E.R. Thanks for any help:)

kmecf

Asked by kmecf at 9:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I have no idea, but she should at least get a call to her doc's office, assuming they have an after hours answering service. If not, I would say go to the ER to get it checked. At
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• yes it does sound like impetigo, tell her to go ahead and go to the Er before ti spreads even more. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 9:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• there is a group on here called medical questions maybe u can ask them in that group. also you could look up the symptoms online and see what it says about it.
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Because he is so young, she should take him in to the doctor ASAP. If she doesn't take him to the ER, he needs to see his doctor first thing in the morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I woul;d have her take the baby in to the ER. Especially a little 3 weeker. Babies that young can get so sick so fast!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i would suggest to get this seen too asap,a baby so little could die from something like this.go to the er
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• eczema. . . both my boys had it, freaked me out! Use Hydrocortizone and once it clears moisturize several times daily.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Was there a fever present? It could be rosea. It lasts a couple of days but then goes away as quick as it appears. Your best bet is to go in and see a doctor.
    abbey11

Answer by abbey11 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• A child that young should be seen. Yes it could require just hydrocortisone, but if it is on the face it could be yeast. My son had a yeast infection that resembled small white pustules. They checked it microscopically though and sure enough it was yeast.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• www.cetaphil.com

go here and look at the products if its eczema they work great on my boys and she can get them at walgreens ...cvs...just about anywhere

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2008