Flavored milk.. healthy options?

my twins are 16 months and wont drink milk from sippy cups and aren't allowed to drink it from a bottle anymore (we're almost four weeks on that woohoo:P)

I feel like if they were able to drink some milk at dinner/in the evening they won't be as cranky or hungry at night.... idk but they wont drink it

i want to let them have strawberry milk but i don't want to buy the sugary stuff you know..
are there any natural ways to flavor milk.. has anyone tried putting REAL strawberries in milk? lol
maybe ill try yogurt.

just curiuos. thanks

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• As long as they don't have a strawberry allergey, add the milk and strawberries to a blender and go for it. Get frozen and it will be more like a slushie.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• If you freeze fresh strawberries and then thaw them, You can put that in a blender and make a coulis, which you can use to flavor milk. You can add a bit of sugar if you like, but it's not necessary.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I buy Almond milk for my daughter (by Silk) and it has an added flavor without hormones and whatnot to give a 7 year old breasts. It tastes really good and they also have chocolate flavors. My daughter loves chocolate milk. I pour about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate almond milk into her sippy and then fill the rest with regular almond milk and she LOVES it!! It is a little more expensive, but it's worth it IMO. She doesn't drink juice or soda or anything else except milk and water. So I am already spending the same amount or less than mothers who give their children juice, kool-aid and soda.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Cow's milk is high in sugar and protein, and relatively low in fat. It won't help them sleep. With or without flavours.

It's a compelling idea, isn't it, that you could feed them something special on Tuesday and not need to feed them again until Thursday... it's ridiculously unrealistic, but compelling.

You may like to offer a substantial snack close to bedtime (lots of people feed their kids a lunch just before they brush their teeth and do the stories and stuff...) a meal high in fat and protein will have more staying power than anything with milk's level of sugar and lack of fiber.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would examine the foods you are feeding your family. Healthy, filling meals are built around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits.

Kids get cranky at night

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Based on my own personal experience, I'm going to second trying almond milk, if they don't have allergy issues. I don't buy the flavored ones (unsweetened has 0g sugar, chocolate has 22g sugar, vanilla has 15g sugar, original has 2g sugar). But anyway, I drank a glass of unsweetened almond milk and ate a small homemade pumpkin banana muffin right before I went to bed last night, and this was the first morning all week I didn't wake up hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• well 1. almond is a nut and theyre not 2.
    2. i cannot afford it.
    3. i didnt ask if i should give them cows milk or not
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011