How to improve my 19 month's language development?

I only want what's best for my daughter. She is 19 months already. There is probably nothing to worry about. Tina, my baby girl doesn't say much two sentence words. However uses a lot of one words and understands commands, etc. I am curious of ways I can help encourage more language and word play with her. Any good helpful feedback would be appreciated.

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 11:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Reading to her and talking to her a lot. It helps them understand how to put words together to form sentences
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• The only way of improving communication skills is using them. It is worth noting that recent brain research shows that when babies hear human speech, their auditory processing centers in their brains become active, but when they hear their own mother speaking, the language processing centers of their brains light up.

Nothing will help your daughter learn language better than you talking to her: about what you're doing, about where you're going, about what she's doing, what the cat's doing...

It has been demonstrated that Baby Einstein viewing slows language development, so no tv at all is enough.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• repeating words over and over has proven to work with my son. he is 17 months and just by reading the same book every night he can flip though the pages and find teh objects that I ask for.....blue ball.....yellow duck...etc. Now he is starting to use colors in front of words. I might be the only one who can understand him, But he is catching on very fast in my opinion!
    Mom2Brock

Answer by Mom2Brock at 11:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I read to my 18mo all the time. He prefers books over his toys. Repeat, repeat, repeat. No matter how many times he points to a picture, I tell him what it is. Now he points to a picture and tells ME what it is. When he was very tiny, I told him everything I was doing. Every step when I was cooking, every article of clothing when I was dressing him, etc...Talking, repeating, and reading to him are the best things you can do.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Model language with her. If you want her to say say something say it first and have her repeat. Even if it's mumbled and hard to understand. Always praise her efforts! Reading, reading, reading...... did I say reading! lol A trip to the grocery store can even be a chance for great skill building. When you put something in the cart say what it is and have her repeat or even ask what it is before telling her what it is. Also dont stress to much. Make it FUN for her and you! When it seems like a game of fun she'll want to do it. Make it something see has to do and she wont want to do it!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 12:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2011