Potty training issues with my 3yo

My three year old was completely potty trained for four months night and day then his little brother was born in june.in july my mother passed away and we made a 1000 mile trip for the funeral.in september we made another trip because my husband was getting ready to deploy and he started powering the bed at night.dh deployed in september and my son has been wearing pull ups to bed since and has woken up wet almost every morning. My question is...where do we go from here? How do I get him to wake up dry? I already watch his fluid intake and hes cut off by 7pm.but hes been struggling with throat issues since september and gets his tonsils and adenoids ot and ear tubes put in the middle of february.g

szeimetz

Asked by szeimetz at 11:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's a lot to happen in such a short period of time.

Give him time to get back into it. Other than watching fluids at night, do you still have a monitor in his room? Maybe he could be waking up and not going but staying in bed?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• You can't make a child stop responding to the stress in his life. One of the symptoms of overwhelming stress is regression. He's literally younger than his age, and younger than he was before. He'll stay younger until he's secure again --so you can help him feel settled and secure, and in the meantime you can handle him as if he were actually younger. Put him back in diapers, unless you like washing linens.

He will grow out of it... if and when the stress goes away.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• dont put the pull ups on him. yes i know its a pain and youll have to wash bedding alot but its for the better. he wont like waking up in a puddle. also put one of those plastic covers on the mattress under his sheets that way the mattress will stay dry. and keep cutting off his fluids at 7 and wake him up and take him to the bathroom when you start to go to bed at around 9 or 10 or whenever you go to bed. thats what i did and it stopped the bed wetting. of course even now we have accidents but they are few and far inbetween. also make him resposible for cleaning up if he does pee the bed. like taking off the sheets and bedding and putting it in the basket and making his bed with your help of course and changing his own clothes. this puts all the resposiblity into his hands and he wont want to have to do all that work, it also makes him feel more of a big boy too.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He got to the point if he wet himself at night he would get dry clothes and lay on the couch. During the day if he wets himself he takes off his sheet and puts it in the washer and gets clean clothes on and puts dirty stuff in the washer...just so he doesnt get in trouble.ive put a diaper on him after he wets himself during the day and allit does is make him scream bloody murder because hes "not a baby". Ive done the waking him up thing and he always goes potty before bed and naps but it still happens.
    szeimetz

Comment by szeimetz (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• he shouldnt feel like he is getting in trouble. i wouldnt make a big deal out of it. i told my dd ok well go change and clean your bed and that was the end of it. she did get embarresed about it and did on several times change her clothes and not do the bed and not tell me until it was nap time and i would smell it. but embarressment was the proper feeling. if he is changeing his bed and clothes without you telling him then i would restrict all fluids after 6 and an hour before nap. he is under alot of stress and as long as he knows that he shouldnt be doing this and is taking responsiblity for it you basically just have to give it some time.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• He's gone through a lot in the last year, I wouldn't worry about the bedwetting for now...give him time and lots of love and encouragement:-)
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• aww poor baby. My heart goes out to you sweetie. I have a friend whose 4 year old still wets the bed always has. Also know 3 year olds not potty trained at all. He is just going thru alot and will pull thru in time. Hope all gets better.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 1:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2011