How do I approach the subject of sex with my 10 year old daughter?

She understands what's happening with her body and the changes. I think she needs to know the basics of sex. I'm not sure what to say!

cassidysmom3

Asked by cassidysmom3 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• get some books from the library and start that way let her know it's very natural....nothing to be embarresed of!
    Anonymous

• She probablly knows more then you think start by asking her what she knows. And when you get it through to her. Make sure she also knows what you think is an acceptable relationship for it like marriage.
    Anonymous

• How wonderful you are acknowledging that she needs this information. Go Mom! Don't assume she knows anything (I'm sure she gets body parts). She may know specifics or not and she may even pray that she is anywhere but having to listen to her mother explain sex. So start by asking what she knows. Acknowledge that this conversation can feel akward and uncomfortable for some people but that you hope its not like that for you and her. If she just stares at you then start at the begining. Give her the facts, come prepared with physical material, and literature from your health department (also great resource for tips on the talk). Tell her about pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases (don't scare the hell out of her), and your personal thoughts on sex. Tell her your hopes and dreams for her and how you want to keep her safe. Then repeat abbreviated version many many MANY times for years to come.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I've seen this type of question a lot in this forum and I don't understand why you haven't been discussing this aspect of life already. It isn't you it is in general I promise but, why have you not been discussing body function so far for 10 years? Doesn't she already know about her period? Then she should also have a fairly full working kowledge of how to avoid pregnancy and how you get pregnant .
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, I just had to have the talk with my daughter and she will be 9 next month. I used very short, brief terms but I have always used the correct terms for body parts with her so all i said was "Sex is when a man puts his penis in a woman's vagina." She understood and I also said that it is something if she has more qeustions about she can always ask me or dad.

I didn't want to do what my parents did and say that is is only for people who are in love or are married so I just didn't even mention it. I simply used the words man and woman.
    mommyweisha

Answer by mommyweisha at 9:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• We did when she came home from school one day and asked out of the blue," Mommy what's a period?" So I got a set of books for her called "God's Design for Sex" by Stan and Breanna Jones. I had her read them and then we talked. That was just a few days before her 10th birthday. (She's already in the 6th grade so she is hearing things a little bit earlier than she should.)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 1:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2008