"Why was I born?" answer

What do you tell your son, almost adult, when he asks, "Why was I born?"

I know it is just a momentary mood that he is in but I still want to be compassionate, thoughtful, and helpful if possible. Any suggestions out there?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 12:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• If my son were to ask me the same question, I'd answer with the following:

I wanted you born because your father and I had a lot of love to share. I didn't know that it would be "you" that would be born, but when I found out, I was delighted and excited. I wanted to get to know you, and to have you get to know me too. I wanted to show you the world, but to see it from your perspective too. I wanted to guide you through life, but was willing to let you guide me. I wanted to share a life with you, and I'm glad that you were born because the life that I have today is much richer and more rewarding than I could have imagined.

It doesn't mean it wasn't tough at times. But simply the fact that i have known you has made it much better, and made ME a better person.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:41 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well the quickest way my mom did was talk about sex, and that he was concieved in the back seat of a van, that nomally worked, if not then tell him that u and his dad loved eadch other very much, and he was a part of that reunion.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have told my sons why they where born since they where little, My stories starts off, when your dad and I decided we wanted kids so that we could spread our love from our heart to our children's. We tried so hard to have children but it took a little longer than what we had hope it would. But then you finally joined us and it was the most heart warming present we have ever had. It goes on and on about each of our children.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 12:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I just go by what Mr. William Gates says

cathyforever

Answer by cathyforever at 1:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would tell mine that they were born out of love, an extension of the love their father and I share.

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• "Why was I born?" The answer in my house, because I loved you from the moment I found out I was expecting you and because I could not at any time imagine my life with out having raised you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• my son hasn't asked yet, hes 5, but when he does, i think i'll tell him b/c mommy needed help with housework! lol. jk. what some others said here.....and why would you down vote bill gates??!?!?!?!?! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• ChezBelle, it sounds like he wants to know now how much you really love him. Let him know.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• your kid does not want all the detail about mom and dad how make baby
    he is adult just one hot night or one cold night we where bored and had whoopie
    and here you are
    so suck it up
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• the only reasonable answer to that is its because its better than NOT being born...every life has a purpose and every purpose has a life...
    Anonymous