Any advice to stop a one year old from hitting people in the face when they pick her up?

we have been grabbing her arm and saying "nice" but she just throws a screaming fit and does it again... im at a loss, she does this with everyone, she thinks its a game i suppose

KKline

Asked by KKline at 12:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try picking her up with her back to you maybe.....sorry not much help! GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• maybe try to be more stern with hitting isnt nice. Or try a time out each time. it is hard when they are one. Just before my daughter turned two we went through the hitting stage. I say "does mommy hit you?" she says no so I tell her then she cant hit other people it isnt nice and I dont like it. She eventually stopped.
    ProudMomie08

Answer by ProudMomie08 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• How about this. Everytime someone picks her up and she tries to hit their face, have them put her back down. She may fuss because she was put down but she'll soon learn that if she wants held she can't hit people in the face cuz if she does, you'll put her down. I hope that helps:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Tell her "NO" in a very stern voice, I am sure she will cry.. :( But whenever she does it grab her hand and say NO... She will eventually understand not to do this. My daughter does the same thing and rips my glasses off my face. I have done this method and she no longer does it all the time!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• What i did with my one year old was when he/she does it. Grab their hand and sternly say "No." then rub your face softly with their hand and say (softly) "Gentleee" then the first time they're gentle say good job..
    but even if they look like they're about to swing start saying gentle. it may take a few time to get the cause and effect down. but it seems to work.
    casicielo

Answer by casicielo at 6:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• DD was doing this with DH. He wouldnt stop her at first because its his only baby girl, but I reminded him of how my sister turned out with ppl babying her like that.

DD has stopped. Dh did the following things:

*If she hit, he would tell her NO sternly, put her back down and would not pick her up for a few minutes. If she did it again, he would say NO again and this time when he put her down he would walk away and let her be. She threw tantrums like crazy for the first couple days of this.... Now she doesnt hit him.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I deal with this daily at work. At work if the hit me or my assistant we say "OUCH" and tell them "HITTING HURTS" we either put the child down or walk away from the situation.Let them have a fit, just walk away! It's hard but feeding into the fit will only prolong it. When they come to us again we show them how to use gentle touches. If it continues we keep doing the same thing, being consistant is key! They will start to get it, some take a while.While others take one or two times. Just be CONSISTANT with whatever you choose to do and make sure everyone involved does the same thing. Take a deep breathe, you can do it!!!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 12:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• A stern no and a short time out
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• thankyou everyone.. looks like im doing it right just need to keep at it.. shes only just turned one last week so i guess the understanding isn't there yet
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2011