been bang my head on the wall about this question... adult content

I have this girl I know, lets call her Tracy, she is 20 yrs old. She has many problems falling asleep. I know I am not a doc, but I know the symptoms of bipolar disorder, cause I am BP. I accidently saw her take approx 22 or so sleeping pills, OTC kind. I freaked, I thought she was committing suicide! She tells me this is how much she has to take in order to fall asleep. I still watched her the rest of the night to make sure. In anbout an hour givce or take, I did notice when I was talking to her, she was forgetting either what I said or what she was saying. Couldn't really hold a good conversion with her. She went to sleep, I am like the mother bear and stood watch over her thinking she might not wake up. Somehow she made it and woke up. I know this is dangerous , but if she took so much, I thought she OD'ed!! She didn't. I wondering how this can affect her health? She doesn't have a mom or dad, or any siblings, or grandparents. They all died in a horrific house fire 2 yrs ago on Thanksgiving. Her dad deep fried the turkey in their garage. She had to go to the store just 3 houses down and get some milk thats why she wasn't there. I sorta adopted her when I entered the Big Sister program a few yrs before and I saw what happened to her. So I am wondering how can I help her with this? I am wondering if maybe she is trying to die,. Anyone with any adivce??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• Approach her with love and concern and tell her that you love her and are worried about her. Ask her questions about her feelings, her sleep issues, etc... Introduce the idea of seeing a doctor or a counselor, see how that goes...try to get her to a doctor or mental health counselor ASAP...they can help her with her sleeping issues and diagnose any mental illness (suicidal thoughts, depression, bp, etc...)
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• That is NOT good. I would seriously talk to her about why she is taking that many pills. Maybe she is saying it is just to help her sleep, or maybe she just doesn't want to tell you how she is really feeling and she is trying to harm herself. It is not good to HAVE to use a sleep aid to go to sleep everynight. They are supposed to be used only when NEEDED and if she is NEEDING 22 pills a night, that is a problem. She needs to be checked out by a doctor and probably needs to talk to a therapist.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Wow, she needs some help fast. She endured a horrific loss and sounds to me that by taking so many sleeping pills it helps her get through the night. Maybe she's having nightmares about her loss. I'm sure she's struggling with post traumatic stress and probably needs help from a psychiatrist, just to talk it out. Good luck, you're a wonderful friend!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Huge huge RED FLAGS. With all the tragedy in her life, is she seeing a mental health professional? Whoever prescribed her the sleep-aids, what dosage did they prescribe? Tell her to let them know that the dose isn't working and they can get her on another medication to help her or something else. Tell her she could die taking that many pills. How does she react? If she were to react normally, she'd be shocked and horrified and not take that many. If she reacts with nonchalance (doesn't care), I would definitely get her to a therapist ASAP.
    MarlaMomma

Answer by MarlaMomma at 2:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The pills are OTC its the nytol caps. She doesn't have the med coverage to see a good therapist. She has seeked help many times, thats how I met her. There is nobody that just listens to her, just me. The ones she had gone to just write out a RX come back in 4 weeks. Isn;t the system, a wonderful thing? I do believe her, cause I had the same problem, when I ws diagnosed BP. I found that if u get the right combo of meds with the talk therapy, it does u wonders! She has applied for medicaid, but since she has a job, she osn't pregnant, ouir state has a "spend down" that means if u meet and go over the deductible like say $300 a month and u had $310 dollars, the state pays the bill, but only when u pay the deductible. Messed up ain't?
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Valerian root is a safe sleep aid

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• She doesn't need health coverage to go to community mental health.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2011