Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What is the first thing to do to start my home business?

I make out of this world home made spinach pie and cheese pie and I want to start a business out of it and serve it to catering halls, bakery, etc...but I know there must be some rules and guidelines...I have a very tasty product but don't know where to start...legally....any info would be soo appreciated!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by GREEKLADYINNJ at 2:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • First thing to do is educate yourself. Go to a big bookseller like Books-A-Million and buy some books on home businesses. There's probably even a Home Businesses for Dummies one out there. Not that you're a dummy of course, just saying that those books are detail oriented and take you step by step. Also talk to everyone you come across that has done a home business. You will have to figure out the cost of your product. How much it costs per pie, including labor costs if you're going to hire others to help, gasoline if you're delivering,etc. Then you figure out from there what you will charge. You want to make up some business cards for sure and probably a web site as well. Find out where else you can advertise and the costs. GL!


    Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • You need to write a business plan.
    Find a commercial kitchen to rent, or have your home kitchen certified.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Research, research, research! First find out if you state allows home kitchens and what the requirements are. You can find the info at your local health department. Next, learn about a business plan and research the info you will need include in your business plan- marketing, competitors, pricing, start up cost, where you want to see your business in a year, etc. You will also need to check with your city hall to see if you need a business or occupational license and you will need to do the same with your state. You will also need to get a tax identification number through the IRS. You can do that through their website. Another thing to consider is the type of business you want to form (llc, s-Corp, etc).

    Answer by JeremysMom at 7:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • This article might be able to help you too:  How to Start a Successful Home-Based Business


    Answer by m-avi at 12:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • First place and thing you need to do is go to SBA.GOV

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Get a GE license. Patent your business name.

    Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 9:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Looking for serious money.....

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Baby names