when should your daughter be allowed to shave her legs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• i say around 13...that's when she's starting to mature with the hair growth and all, and also when kids her age will start to notice in school if her pants legs rises up or she goes to a sleep over.... -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 9:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i remember i wanted to start shaving my legs when i was in 5th grade, so 12 yrs old, i lived with my dad and i wasnt allowed to, idk why, i went to stay with my mom that summer and she let me, i got in trouble when i got back home, but what im tryin to say is as a kid, i think that is a good age, around 12!
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I had to start shaving mine at ten behind my parents' backs. It was horribly embarrassing for me to wear shorts, they FORCED me to wear shorts to school even though I had long unsightly leg hair. I finally stole one of my dad's razors and shaved my legs...and I never looked back =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think about the time she is in 7th or 8th grade because they start doing sports and they have to ride the bus with the boys and I remember my mom wouldn't let me and it sucked because the rest of the girls were like feel how soft my legs are and I would have to just sit there and talk sports with the boys. I was so mad at my mom for it, i thought she wanted me to be the ugly duckling LOL
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When they start having hair to shave. My mother was awful about accepting that my body was maturing and thought things like bras and shaving should go by age. Well I was a full C when I started the 5th grade and got made fun of horribly for not wearing a bra or being able to shave when I looked like an ape. Its got to go by her body, not a number.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think that when a girl starts feeling she needs to shave her legs is when she should start. I am greek and so is my daughter's Dad, needless to say she had dark hair on her legs and when she was about 11 she asked if she could shave. She started off with an electric razor for ladies and moved up to a regular razor after about a year. To a parent hair on the legs is not a big deal but to a young hormonal girl it can be devastaing to made fun of when someone else sees them- kids are cruel.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I started shaving my legs when I was 9. I didn't really have noticeable leg hair, but I guess I just wanted to be like my older sister. I think when she feels like she's ready, then you should let her. If she really feels embarrassed about her leg hair, then let her, show her how to do it, (like in a bathing suit or something). I wouldn't ask her if she wants to, I'd just wait to see if she says anything to you.
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When she asks. My mom didn't let me start until 7th grade. I spent all of 6th grade dreading the comments from the boy who sat in front of me. I had to wear a skirt to school and while my legs weren't hairy, he teased me anyway.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• When she starts asking (no matter how young) because if she's asking, there is a reason. My daughter was allowed to start at 10, because that is when she mentioned to me that she was embarrased about her "furry" legs.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i started at 15, because i wasnt that hairy, but i think if youre really hairy then at 13. my mom didnt let me or my other sisters till we got to 15 yrs old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2008