Tying shoes

Ds just turned 6 and he's having a rough go with this. For the life of me, I can't remember being taught to tie my shoes as a child. I just remember practicing it and being able to do it when I was 4 or early 5 years old. What's the best way to teach him this?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 4:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I taught my son a couple months after he turned 7 because his teacher refused to tie any shoes in 1st grade and he had to wear dress shoes and all we could find had laces. I tried several times before that but what finally got him was sitting him in my lap and holding his fingers as I tied (the 1 loop method like I normally use, 2 loops was too complicated for him, lol). I did it a few times really slow with his hands in mine and then let him try. Then I left him alone to practice and 30 minutes later he had it.
    My 8yo dd still doesn't know how but she has always had issues with fine motor skills so hasn't had the dexterity until recently but doesn't have any shoes with laces so it hasn't come up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Mines 12 and still doesn't get it. We just have him use those strap on shoes (Sketchers). Far easier
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Mr Rogers taught me how to tie my shoes. Maybe you can dig up a kids how-to video on youtube and try that way.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My daughter is 5 and still isn't getting it either. I sit down everyday and try to teach her, but she just isn't grasping it! I bought a book, and it is very helpful to teach your child the how to's but it's still a problem if they don't understand it!! :)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We found a book that shows how to tie shoes. My dd used that, and was tying her shoes before kindergarten. Her brother, on the other hand, doesn't care.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• velcro
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011