IS IT OKAY FOR A 1 MONTH OLD BABY TO BE EATING CEREAL ALREADY

MY GRANDMA POURS CEREAL N MY BABY BOTTLES N I THINK SHE JIVE YOUNG, N I DONT WANT HER GETTING ALL FAT. MY GRANNY SAY IT WILL MAKE HER SLEEP AT NITE BT IT REALLY DNT SHE JUST BE MAJOR FULL!!!

NEEKSEXI

Asked by NEEKSEXI at 5:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you aren't supposed to eat cereal until you are 4 months old at the very earliest! It can make a baby put on weight too. It will not make a baby sleep through the night. And she's robbing your baby of the milk that she needs! The only time it ok to give cereal before 4 months is when the dr says to, and that's usually only if a baby has been diagnosed with reflux or GERD.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• With both my girls we had to put cereal in the bottles due to severe reflux issues. My oldest DD had failure to thrive as well so her ped's had me doing this from 2 weeks of birth due to both issues. Which it never helped anyhow, because in the end she needed a feeding tube. But if your child has no problems medically then I wouldn't do it if it's not absolutely necessary.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Absolutely not ok at all first off it is a choking hazard 2nd a food allergy causer and 3rd it will not help her sleep better stop allowing that right now it is soooo dangerous it is only ok for acid reflux babies as a last resort.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Def. NOT okay, Why would you let her give your baby something like that? As a mother it is your responsibility to do research, if you are unsure of something I would stay away (and NOT give it to your baby) until you educate yourself enough about it. Just letting people give her that seems very careless to me. Sorry if it sounds rude, but you are her mother and you are the one that should be making these decisions.
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You really aren't supposed to give infants that young anything but formula or breast milk. BUT - back when your grandmother had infants of her own, that's what they did. I'll get bashed for this, but those babies grew up to be our parents. The cereal isn't going to make the baby "fat," it may actually fill her up more so she doesn't drink as much formula/breast milk as she should. She could lose weight. Try talking to your grandma, tell her that you know this was what she did, but your doc said not to do it, and you really want to follow his orders.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No. Formula or breastmilk only right now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:41 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You need to stand up to her, since it seems you don't like what she's doing. And rightly so, since 1 month IS too young for anything other then breast milk or formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• NO WAY!!  Breatmilk or formula ONLY!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 12:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• if your child is healthy then no there is no need for cereal. My son had cereal mixed in with his bottle at 2 weeks ONLY b/c he has acid reflux and it did help with the spitting up but that was done with the Ped. approval. If you do not want w your child to have it then you need to stand up to your grandmother. This is your child! Do whats right for you and her, not whats Granny says.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011