illegal immigrants do jobs that americans refuse to do .

TGIFwhat are your views on this statement ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 5:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We have the Hormel plant in our town and also QPP(Quality Pork Processors....which is pretty much the slaughter building) and they only hire immigrants legal or not. Which is wrong and not fair to all the unemplyed, legal people who applied there.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 6:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I will clean houses, wash floors and work wherever it keeps my family afloat. I think this statement is not true of all of us.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Legal immigrants are screened for diseases ~ illegals are not. Illegals most definitely DO bring disease along with them ~ malaria, dengue, leprosy, TB, hepatitis, chagas, as well as many others. Maybe 'you' don't mind if your veggies are picked by someone carrying such diseases, but some of 'us' do.

To be fair, I personally also mind what food processors and packaging plants do to the food that passes through as well as the processed gunk that passes for food that lines the grocery shelves. In this one instance, I feel the processed gunk is the safer of the two options ~ which is one of the reasons I grow my own.

As for illegals doing the jobs Americans won't, I'd cut anyone refusing $9 an hour and sitting around on unemployment, and I'd have no problem making it a requirement for FS/other aid that a person pick veggies; either on a farm or from the garden they planted (you can buy seeds with FS).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It's a convenient deflection used by people who approve of the slavery-like conditions under which illegals work - no OSHA compliance, no workman's comp, no minimum wage, no benefits of any kind, illegal work hours, child labor. Rather than just admit they approve of the "little people" doing that work in sub-human conditions so they can pay less for their corn-infused processed food, they tell this lie about nobody else doing the work. They think it makes them look like they are actually compassionate instead of heartless and greedy. Of course, it falls apart as soon as you point out all the people who do those same jobs in regions of the country with lower populations of illegals - aka legal citizens working for minimum wage.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Okay to be fair alot of us wouldn't want to pick veggies in a field for below minum wage.
    But since they're not crossing legally in the first place they arn't getting properly vaccinated either if there was a pandemic of some nature that required vaccines before crossing country lines. That's where I'm playing devils advicate here. ;)
    If corporations are hiring them then I would say that that corp should be turned in to Immigration Services and maybe things would change a bit.
    Not to mention that population cencuses can't be accurate and that is why alot of our tax dollars arn't appropriately spent for schools because these children are not being allotted for.
    There is a reason people should be deported if they don't go through the proper channels to get to our country.
    Also...we have to go through their proper channels to get in theirs! lol
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I don't care who does the job as long as s/he is willing to be a legal American citizen and pay taxes like the rest of us. If you are working in the United States of America and you are not a citizen, you are breaking the law.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• BS! Americans have been convinced that we don't do those jobs. Unions demand that people have to get paid huge wages for unskilled jobs. Illegals will do the jobs off the union clock. There is no work that is dishonorable as long as it is honest, legal, and you do it to the best of your ability. I use to deliver baby pigs. I stood behind a sow, delivered pigs, cleaned up a 5 lb bucket of after birth, and gave about 500 shots a month. I went back to school and became a teacher. I have done that 'unsavory' work. I honestly earned my pay and did a damn good job. It was far more honorable than collecting a gov't check. We have to get over our arrogance and find the honor of working instead of wanting to be a brain surgeon even though someone couldn't stay in school long enough to graduate middle school at 18.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

bowing down

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would like to know what these jobs are because I know several people who are out of work right now willing to do ANYTHING.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The way our system is set up, I think it's more true in certain industries and areas than in others. Unemployment pays more than some of these jobs, why would someone be willing to get off UE to take a lesser wage? Not to mention, they likely won't be paid under the table and that money will be taxed (yes, I realize that some II use fake SS #'s to work - which in some cases can end up being identity theft which is yet another law they are breaking). If unemployment extensions were to end I think you would see many Americans doing those jobs that people say we won't do.

Oh, and about the diseases, I think that poster's comments were about things that many Americans are normally vaxed for.  Problem is, you have a growing anti-vax group and these things could impact them greatly. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2011