do u still tip well if the meal was horrible at a restaurant ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 5:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The only time we don't give a nice tip is if our waitress was rude to us! It's not the person's fault if the food sucks! :)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• not the server's fault.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It's not the servers fault if there cooks are a bit off that night.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 6:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Tips are given based on the level of service. If the food is bad and the service is great, my waitress will get a nice tip and the manager will get a note about the food.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Of course. However, long before the check came, I would have spoken with the manager

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I always tip at least 20%, unless the service was absolutely horrible. If the foods bad, it's not the servers fault.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If it's a place that we go regularly then I really can't do something to tick off the server.word will spread to the others. There have been some instances with regular places that I still gave a low or no tip because of how terrible it was and just didn't come back for awhile. Generally this is how I do it: If service was so bad that a manager visited our table upon our request then there will be no tip at all. If service was kinda bad but we weren't really too upset then they get about 15%. If service was just ok average then it's 20% and if they go out of their way and really knock our socks off they're getting 25-30%. I take into consideration attitude too. If I see that they are smiling and really trying their best and they're slammed with 4 other tables then I cut them some slack. If they show up to my table and give me a look of"Oh they're not going to tip well, they have young kids" then they start off in the hole!!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If the food isn't right then I have them fix it. If they can't get it fixed a 2nd time then I tell them to just forget it and leave it off the bill!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If the meal is bad (I'm not talking something small here or there), and it's not something that can't be fixed, then I say something to the manager.

But the quality of the meal doesn't always have to be rated the same as the quality of the service. I've had great meals with crappy service, and great service with crappy meals. I tip according to the service, and I'm willing to pay the menu prices based on the quality of the food :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Let it be known about the food and tip based on service.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2011