Poop?

No, not baby poop, adult poop! Ok so this is definately TMI but we're all Moms here so I just assume that I'm gonna get some knowledgeable answers.

So here's the deal. I am 23, and since I've been about 11 or 12 years old, I really only poop once, SOMETIMES twice a month. And when I do - it's awful. My stomach cramps so badly before that I feel like I'm going to die. Everyone I talk to thinks I'm either lying or dying or crazy, so I just wondered if anyone else had this problem? People I have talked to say that it is not normal and that I need to see a doctor, but I have no insurance and I can't afford a 13 thousand dollar procedure that may or may not tell me anything. So anyways... just wondering. Any answers would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• okay...I am very similar but not to that extent...I poop like once a week.....It hurts so bad but I had to find out what was making me so constipated......I had a few knee surgerys and pain killer can make you constipated but so can other meds so see if you meds have any side effects...
    Anonymous

• It's not normal if you are hurting. Everyone has a different "poop schedule" but pain should not be involved when using the bathroom. I would think that only once or twice a month is a little odd but I know people who only go once a week. I think going to the doctor is much better than having your bowels rupture or you get an infection....or the possibility of vomiting up feces because you have a bowel blockage. This could get serious, especially since you say you have intense pain with it. Not good. Please go see a doc. Can you get on State Insurance due to income?

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You might just need a blood test. I know that if your thyroid isn't working right it can slow down your metabolism down A LOT. I'd at least make an appointment. It might be something simple.
    Anonymous

• You are not alone and please know it is no joke that you can die from your bowel exploding. Start taking a stool softener everyday- that is what my doctor suggested when I had that problem (things have changed since I have gotten older but I still don't go everyday). Stool softeners are not addictive and it sounds like you definitely need them. Hope you are feeling 'normal' soon.

candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• OMG! That sounds horrible. It is definitely not normal. Normal is different for everyone. Normal could be going once or more a day to a few times a week. Not once or twice a month. I get crampy and bloated after one day of not pooping. I can't believe you have gone so long like this. Try drinking at least two liters of water a day to get things moving. Also, eat high fiber foods. Drink prune juice. Take fiber psyllium caplets or powder. I use these when I need a little more help. I have IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) so I really have to watch what I eat and drink. Drink coffee it is a natural laxative. Also, what kind of surgery would cost so much to help you?

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Well you arent dead after all this time, thank goodness! but it still could be a serious matter. Get on medicaid. You should qualify. Get into a Doctor in the mean time, there probably wont be any big procedure yet, but just to go in and get some medical advice and support. At the least, they might know a bit about it since you have had it for soooo long. So go in!
    Anonymous

• I was going to ask have you taken supplemental fiber? Have you ever tried stool softners (not laxatives)? Do you have bloody stools? Do you have diarrhea? Do you have abdominal distention? Do you have nausea and vomiting? Have you ever seen a doctor before for this and has he said what he thinks is going on? Do you feel like you have to use the bathroom and just can't? Do you have a fear of public restrooms therefore you "hold it" instead of going when you feel the need?

Okay, a lot of questions but it could lead to whats going on.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Thanks so much for the input gals!

As far as the 13 thousand dollar procedure, LOL, I was just throwing a figure out there. But yeah, since I've been a little girl, this is how it has been. I told my Mom about it then but I guess she either didn't believe me at the time or she just wasn't concerned - she is now. But yeah, I mean, I only usually go once a month, and it's usually right before or right after my period. I do think I need to see a doctor, but I really don't want to go in and say - "Hey doc, I only poop once a month!" LOL. I don't know. But at least I know that I am not alone. Oh and I don't take any meds, so I know that's not the problem. Thanks! Keep them coming though!
    Anonymous

• See a doctor.That is not normal, not everyday is normal but not 2x a month. Something is definetly wrong, little or big but see a doctor. There should be help through your hospital if you meet their qualifications for assistance, my husband and I make a combined 54,000 or so a year and we qualified so go, for your health. Good luck.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 10:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am a nursing student and you could not imagine how many patients we have with bowel disorders. It is VERY common. It can be something really simple to something complex. This is what could happen if you don't take care of it.

Your poop is waste products from you body. You poop it because it's toxic and your body can't use it. If it stays in your intestines then it makes you sick. The type of sick that can set up infection in your blood stream. It can also kill sections of your bowel. Which means that the only option at that point is to have a colostomy. This is a nice little poop pouch that is on the outside of your stomach and you empty it every day. PLEASE go see a doctor. If you were not having any pain with it then I would say it's normal for YOU. Pain is an indicator to us that something is wrong, your body is telling you something, so please listen to it. :O)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008