What is your oponion on using rubbing alcohol on Umbilical cord?

I know that they recently changed the rules about not using the rubbing alcohol on their cords. They now say just soap and water. When I had my Daughter they had me use rubbing alcohol and it came off no problem. With me Son (who is 5 days old) His cord is starting to smell rotten!! It is SO icky, I'm very tempted to use rubbing alcohol on it to get it off!!! What do you think about me using the rubbing alcohol on it? I'm still deciding if I should do it....Thanks!! :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We did it with DS and was told not to with DD but her cord got infected and we had to take her in and then THEY cleaned it with peroxide and alcohol. In retro-spect I wish I had just used the alcohol. I did with the first so really what was it going to hurt.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I used rubbing alcohol on all three of my kid's cords, the youngest is 3 - I haven't heard that alcohol isn't supposed to be used. If it's smelling bad you should really talk to your doctor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We didnt wash dds at all. The dr told us not to touch it even with soap and water. But if alcohol was used for so many years then I dont seee the harm if you want to do it. Id think it might burn a bit though. Its your call
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I used rubbing alcohol with both of my kids. When did they change that? My youngest is only 18 months.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Syphon....It prob depends on the dr/hospital. My dd is 4 and they told me not to use it when I had her
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• With my oldest (who is now 4) I was told to use it, so I did and the cord came off super quick and easy with no issues. With my son (almost 2) the rules had apparently changed and I was told only soap and water, but I used the alcohol anyway. I don't like the way that using ONLY soap and water makes it very gewy and pieces start rubbing off onto their clothes.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I used rubbing alcohol on both of my girls. They told me soap and water, but the rubbing alcohol just makes more sense.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• With my 5 year old I was told to use it and with my 3 year old I was told not to. Different hospital and doc though. My oldest the cord fell off about 1.5 weeks after birth, but my youngest it was only about 6 days after birth. I was also told NOT to use any soap or anything other then clean water while bathing until the belly button had healed. It definitely took longer for the one I used alcohol on to heal. If it is starting to smell though I would be calling your doctor tomorrow about it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Hospital told me not to, but I did anyway! Worked beautifully! Why after YEARS of MANY MANY mothers using rubbing alcohol, and it working, do they change the rules? I think they r just bored!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2011