Does having several food allergies make it more possible to have an allergy to medicines? My 4.5 yr old was prescribed 3 medications yesterday and he hasn't been on meds since he was 4 months old. I was wondering if its ok to give all 3 meds at once or to introduce them 1 at a time, like I had to with food. Thank you!

rebeccasmly

Asked by rebeccasmly at 8:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• What are we talking about? antibiotic, decongestant, cough suppressant....? Depends on what they are. I would say if you are more comfortable doing them one at a time then go ahead but I would start with the antibiotic.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• As the PP said, it depends on the type of medicine. Is the doctor that prescribed the medications aware of your sons allergies? To be safe, I would talk to the pharmacist or your doctor before giving him anything.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There's an antibiotic, steroid, and decongestant. He is aware of the food allergies and both him and pharmacists have said I can give the Benadryl prescribed to combat the food allergies with the medications he was prescribed yesterday. I started him off with the antibiotic last night when we got home.
    rebeccasmly

Comment by rebeccasmly (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2011