Is Harry Potter 7 kid friendly?

Kids ages 8, 7, 4, and 21 months. Granted the 21 month old might lose interest or have more focus on snacks. My 4 yr old likes Harry Potter. He likes the Lego version and saw up to HP 4. My oldest wants to see it and my 7 yr old...she isn't big on the "scary" stuff.

Haven't seen it yet so I don't know if it's okay for the kids. Seems the books get "scarier" as Harry gets older according to my 8 year old so I was wondering if the movie would be about the same. They can handle most stuff, but would this movie keep kids their age interested?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 8:49 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Entertainment

• Only you can answer that question. What are you okay with your children seeing? There is blood, and violence. If YOUR okay with your children seeing it then so be it. I do NOT think it would keep a 21 month old interested. The 4 year old (depending on YOUR child) may find it interesting. My 8 and 7 year old will watch harry potter but not with much interest. They would much rather watch star wars.

Oh yeah there is kissing and teenage situations that small children may or may not get.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If you mean the Deathly Hallows movie I would definitely NOT suggest it for young children. I would let my daughter watch it when she was at least 9, at LEAST. But that's me. I watched it and it's not a kids movie, it's a very adult story, yes the magic is there but it's very dark, very gloomy and very "serious". The kids stuff is gone, the Quidditch, the little hats that place you, the school is gone, Dumbledoor is dead, etc. All in all, it's not a kid's movie no.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My son liked it, he is 4. There are a few scary parts, but nothing too bad. It really all depends on how much you want your children to watch.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ok, first, let me say that I love Harry Potter. Second, I have 2 older teens (just turned 18 and 16 1/2). I've read all the books to them out loud (even the last - it was a family tradition we started when they were little and continued to finish the series...) We've also gone to see all the movies, and I really liked the last one - I think it was one of the most "true to the book" ones they've made so far.

That being said - honestly, at the most I would go see it first myself to see if maybe taking the 8 yr old, but personally, I wouldn't take the kids at that age to see it. For one thing, it does get a lot "darker", some more key (and very lovable) characters die, and just all around I think it's more "mature" than the earlier ones.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Oh, one other thought - it really does "leave you hanging" for the second part of the last book - more so than the other movies do. (After all, this movie is just the first half of the book). Having read the books, I can tell you, the second part of the Deathly Hallows is going to get a LOT darker, a LOT more violent, and a LOT more "scary" and "mature" even than this last one is. Going to see the first part of the Deathly Hallows sets you up to go see the second part, and I really don't think that's something you're going to want to take them to - especially if your 7 yr old isn't big on scary stuff.

Also - it's way more intense than the Lego ones... I would wait...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We took our 6 yr old. Since I have read the book I knew when to tell him to close his eyes and ears so he wouldnt get scared. He did ok, and he liked what he saw! ha
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• each one seems a bit "darker" than the last so I guess you can kinda go based off how the last one was-
    sailorwifenmom pretty much covered it though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i would let my 4 year old see it but it depends on your kids. My daughter doesnt scare easy. I get more scared by movies than she does.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• its better for the older kids but not for the younger ones
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• This movie is more mature than previous ones. For us, it wasn't the violence or death, it was the fact that there were sex scenes in this one.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2011