Jewish religion and folklore- do you believe both?

I'm just wondering... I know there are many Jewish myths/legends/folk tales not contained in Sacred Texts. I was wondering, although they are not used in your actual religion, do you still believe them to be true or are they just stories?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many Jews recognize these stories were put down to teach a moral or life lesson. We don't have to believe the story is real to take something meaningful from it. Like any other faith, you have some who believe everything as written and some who recognize teaching lore. I don't believe all of the stories are real, as written. They do teach us about our culture and traditions though.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• alot of holidays are not from the bible like purim or hanuka... they are so we re-live the events that took place in history
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There are stories like Lillith to use an example that is well known that is considered folklore but is not used in religious teachings. I was just wondering if they were still considered true or if they are just considered myths not to be taken seriously.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2011