Flu shots

My dd has gotten sick 2 years in a row the day after her flu shot, the last time she vomited and had diarrhea for 13 days, she got better the day before we were going to have to hospitalize her. It was awful. I really don't want to get her a flu shot but I am teetering cuz I don't want to not get it for her and have her get sick anyways. Arr. I don't know what to do. What do you think?

maddismama

Asked by maddismama at 10:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I don't get flu shots for my children. I would pass it and if you think she does worse with out it. Then get it next yr. But make sure you do other things to avoid the flu like staying away from people who are sick and cleaning your hands often. My kids have gotten the flu but it only useally lasts a couple of days.
    Anonymous

• Thats what I do anyways so I think she'll be ok.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 10:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I can honestly say I am not a fan of flu shots. I have a journal post (or few) on my profile, not ones I have written, but from reputable sources if you would like to have a read.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I know that flu shots, and all shots i suppose, can have side effects and that many people are against them,strongly. I am not against shots but based on her reaction I can't ignore the possibility that she is allergic to something in the shot concoction. A rock and a hard place but my heart won't let me knowingly administering something to her that will make her sick. Errrr.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 10:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Well, flu shots cover the "cold" type flu, not the stomach flu--that's what it sounds like she had.

We have never gotten the flu shot...I see no point really.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• This was already asked sort of...the flu shot is hit or miss. it only cover one strain of flu (the most "popular" one that ppl were getting last yr in China...that is how they make it. it takes the flu a year to make it from china to here so they base this yrs shot on the type of flu that most ppl in china got last yr) It does sound like she may be sensitive to something in it. There is no gurantee a person will not get some kind of flu even with the shot any how. they just wont get that particular strain of it.
    Anonymous

• I personally don't get the flu shot and I don't make my kids get it. Every year at my work they love for people to get the shot and every year the people that get the shot seems to be the ones getting sick. I will pass.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• DO NOT get the flu shot and work on building up her natural immunity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• thank you ladies for your suppport it is one of those tough decisions that you need a lot of opinions on.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 7:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Putting a little perspective: It is not ONE strain, but THREE that they use. They take the 3 that they "project" to be the "it" strains. Last year's numbers" of the 3 strains, 2 were INCORRECT, rendering the shot less than 50 % accurate. That's less than leaving it up to chance alone. That said, number-wise, most of the flu cases last year were from the actual shots. So, don't get yourself too worked up, don't rely too much on the shots either. They are not guaranteed to shield you from the flu. Trust your LO's natural immune system to take care of her.
    Anonymous