Has anyone taken their kids toys away/How long should they be gone

I've asked my son to clean the playroom all week. He puts about three toys away then stops. I've said I'm going to take the toys away which does not faze him. Anyone else do this? If I do take the toys away how long should I keep them?

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 9:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take away his toys like you said... empty threats are meaningless unless you are going to follow though.
    If he doesn't clean up his toys like asked... take a garbage bag and pack up all of the toys and they are gone... if you don't have the heart to throw them out or donate them... then just pack them up where he can't get to them for several months... if he's good at cleaning up then he can have them back... I would keep them for 2 months at least... because it's no big deal, with the amount of toys kids have, if they don't see a toy for a couple of weeks. But if they keep getting them taken away he'll learn that he has to clean up or he'll have nothing left to play with.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• my 3 yr old does this alll the time.. i usually take away his favorite toy and he cant have it back until his room his clean... that usually works for me
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I don't force my son to clear up his toys, instead I ask him top help me. He is 3. About 90% of the time he helps and he loves helping do the housework too. I think because I let him decide, so on the days he doesn't want to, which isn't very often, he can just go do something else.

I wouldn't take his toys away but maybe help him, if he is only 3/4.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Don't make a threat that you're not going to immediately follow through with. Of course it doesn't phase him if you dont' follow through. Who's going to believe someone who doesn't back up their threat? Therefore, WHEN you take the toys away you should take them away for an hour at minimum. This will give him enough time to get nice and bored and realize his actions aren't contributing to anything. (Or lack of actions I should say) When you take them away say "Johnny, I told you too many times to clean the toy room and you refused to do so. Therefore, you aren't allowed to play with your toys for one hour. When that one hour is up you are to clean the toy room before you can play with them again." That's how I would handle it.

You could also try time outs first. I suggest, though, that you sit in there with him and direct him on how to clean up. Maybe your company and direction will get him motivated.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• After a full week of my asking to do this -- I would take away ALL the toys that he/she left out! I would tell mine that I guess she just doesnt like these toys so I am going to put them away. Then I keep for a couple of days -- or until she bugs me so much about them that I BELIEVE she learned her lesson. This really works for me! I even put them in a big garbage bag and put them away where she cant even see them. She HATES the garbage bag thing!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011