How to get a cat to drink?

DD took her cat into the vet's days ago. Her cat isn't feeling Well. She paid $200.00 for that visit. The thing is here we're ALL jobless and Down on our Luck! My Cancer Battle. So I have 2 cats ailing myself! And her's now seems Worse! Is there anyway to get him to get any fluids? He got some fluid shot. But any home remedies is what we need. Any help would be Greatly appreciated! We live in a rural area. Thank you for reading and for any helpful, caring replies!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pets

• Do you have any tuna in water? Maybe he'd drink some water with the tuna water in it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My vet told us when our cat was sick to give him wet food. It has enough fluid to hydrate them. Or as PP said...tuna in water
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Moving water. Cats love moving water. If you cannot afford a pet bowl made for this you can get a fish tank water mover. Put it in a plastic tote and move the water. Cats cannot resist.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If she feeds the cat wet food the cat will get water that way. But if the cat is really dehydrated he will need to get fluids at the vet.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I suggest moving water, like turn on the faucet so that it's trickling and see if she'll drink from there. You could also get an eye dropper and see if she'll drink from that or off of your hand.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• How old is your cat? Buy Cat Milk for her. It contains the vitamins and some calory as well to keep her alive until Wednesday. Does she throw up or just stopped eating? Maybe there is something with her teeth. So buy her soft food and try to feed her. Check her teeth if they are broken or something. There is soft food for old cats (senior) that are soft and contains everything she needs. You can mix the milk with the soft food and put it in her mouth with an injection tube like for the baby cats. Do the same with the water. It doesn't matter if some comes out of her mouth. The main thing that something stays in. I am so crossing my finger for her. Email me if you need more advice or just a virtual hug. :)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Have your daughter mix a tablespoon or so of karo in a cup of water and use a small syringe to force the cat to drink ~ just a little at a time. If she has pedialyte she could use that, but the karo water generally helps. It sounds as though the cat really does need subq fluids at the moment. Most vets will teach owners how to do them and sell them a bag of ringers. If all else fails, have your daughter call the vet back and see if that is an option. The ringers isn't the cheapest thing (about $40 a bag), but if that's what the cat needs she should try.

I'm curious about what the vet said was wrong when she had her cat in there ... not sure if I missed it or not.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You know those syinges that you use to give children medicine? YOu can use water and gently squirt it in the side of the cats mouth every fifteen minutes or so. Cats will dehydrate themselves. In doing this method you will get fluids in your cat and might save yourself timely, expensive IV's if the cat does dehydrate.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 5:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011