19 month old not really talking

my 19 months old doesnt really speak yet.. he babbles alot and calls everyone daddy...he says this and juice.... but he understands everything im saying should i be concerned?

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as the receptive language skills are good and he can express himself in other ways, he is most likely pretty good. If he doesn't point or seem to understand what you are saying, then I would be concerned.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Mention it to his pediatrician and see what he/she says about it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't my son was the same way. As a matter of fact he just turned two and is just now starting to talk. Albeit, it's not perfect but he is starting to use sentences and things. Also my friend said her son didn't really start talking until he was almost three.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You may want to have his hearing checked but it's not uncommon for boys to take longer to talk. 1 of my boys had his own language till his was 3! You can also do the repeating game...show him a flash card with a ball..etc and say the work and see if he repeats it. Work with him and see how it goes.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I know many children haven't talked until their 4th birthday. Every child develops on different ways. So don't worry. He is just take his time. And he is not even two-year-old!!! If he can understand what you are saying and he point out on different things at a book like dog, when you say dog, or cat, or tree than he is perfectly fine. He is just not ready yet to talk. But I am sure he has his own language and he uses that to make noises. So he has his own language and he will start to use ours when their brain is ready for it. Don't push him or make him anxious about it with your behaviour because it can delay his development. He is perfectly fine. He is just not ready yet. Let him to be a baby as long as he can. They grow up so fast. God bless them.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My son is 3 and does talk now but still has his own language and words fro things out of preference. But at the same time he is absolutely awesome with other things..he was walking at 9 months, can use a computer, can recognise words and find links online for his favourites shows....every child will develop skills etc in different orders and different rates. My son is super empathic and sensitive to others feelings as well.

I wouldn't worry too much/ Also remember as well..language is such a difficult thing to learn - I find it amazing that children can pick it up so quickly!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My oldest dd didn't talk until she was two and now I can't get her to stop lol. She would say important words like eat and juice. All kids are different. My youngest dd talks in phrases and she is only 17 months...
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Probably depends on who your doctor is. Some are more concerned than others. That being the case, I would say it's not something to panic about. I agree with what the others said... as long as he is communicating in some way, he is okay.
    kbriggle

Answer by kbriggle at 10:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You may want to mention it to your doctor. It may be completely normal for him, but if there is something wrong it's best to address it as soon as possible, it will also set your mind at ease.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• my son has autism and at that age he wasnt saying anything or understanding anything either, so i think your son is probably okay... im not a doctor though, if its the same at his 24 month visit mention it to your pedi
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2011