My 6 year old daughter is really struggling in school. IN fact she is shutting down. She was diagnosed with convergence insufficiency and intermittent exotropia. We are currently doing vision therapy, which may be helping a little. It just seems like she has a long way to go to even function in class. She is way behind. I am feeling panicked. Does anyone have any children with similar vision problems?

jakeabooch

Asked by jakeabooch at 10:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i don't but my son is also struggling, he's gotten better since the first day of school though, just talk to the teacher and findout what they are doing that day/week and work with her at home. wish i could help more.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 10:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My daughter just turned 7 and I have been dealing with for a while. Keep going to meetings that they have for her and contribute ideas that will help your daughter to feel confident and not overwhelmed...whether it's requesting that they try more auditory versus reading (which may be slowing her down and possibly embarrassing her..and causing further withdrawal by her). If you want to email me back I will try to find contacts to guide you in better direction. You may want to see if she can take IEP test to see if she qualifies for extra help..which can be as simple as them giving her less work so she can keep up, or more time to complete, or audio instruction versus written until her vision is corrected. please feel free to email me back.don't take it personally if it takes me little while to get back to you.. Mona
    timestwo

Answer by timestwo at 11:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• How long has she been in vision therapy? Who's doing the therapy? If it's not someone who is specifically trained in that area, it will do no good. Are there other things going on besides her eye-related issues? Other learning disabilities that you may suspect?

CI was an issue for my teen son; he started vision therapy last March and just finished last month. We have noticed considerable change for the better once his eyes were able to function correctly.

Does she get any help in school? Do they recognize her eye issues as a barrier to her learning? CI issues are generally not accepted by the schools as "learning disabilities" but they may be willing to work with you in lessening her coursework, though I doubt they'd be willing to do so unless you had an IEP or Section 504 accommodations in place.

Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2008