whatdo you do for a swollen finger?

my right thumb is swollen right now, the skins very tight feels like it about to burst open. *husband think i had a hand nail and now it might be infected* but what do i do for it? put some ice on it? ive tried to "pop" it by squeezing my thumb to releave some pressure but nouthings worked. it REALLY hurts. i never realized how much i need my thumb untill now.! when i place it against my check it feels kinda warm/hot to the touch were as the other thumb doesnt...

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 10:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• you really need to see a doctor about this, sounds like you have an infection thats going to need medication. My co-worker had a paper cut under his nail and it got infected, the only thing that helped was a visit to the drs office. I would keep it in ice on and off today. and take an anti-inflammatory aspirin to help

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You can't remedy anything until you know what the problem is. There's a number of reasons why your thumb could be swollen. You have an infection, you have excess fluid, high blood pressure, poor circulation .. The list goes on and on. You need to take it to a clinic or your family doctor and have them examine it. We can't tell you what it is, no what proffession we are, without examining it first. Therefore, take it to a medical proffessional. Do not try to "Pop It", because you could cause more damage. If it's excess fluid then you need to find out why .. If it's poor circulation you need to find out if there's a blockage, etc. So go to your doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I don't know on this? If its hurt by a sprain. I'd say to soak it in Epsom salts! My son in law recently cut off the tips of his fingers. At the hospital they had him alternate soaking with saline & iodine. And he said it felt so cold! If you can go in.. Would be best to take care of yourself! I have constant swelling. From the 3 Chemos I had. I haven't been able to wear my wedding rings in 9 months! I hope you feel better. I hope you get your healing relief!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If you have an urgent care in your area, visit today.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2011