Classmate in daughters preschool says " I dont like you"

When I was dropping my daughter off at school last week a girl in her class walked passed us gave my daughter a mean stare and pointed at her and said "I dont like you and I still dont like you"

My daughter is 3 and loves all kids and loves playing and getting along with other kids. All the other kids in her class love her and will all run to her and hug her and say "Hi "when she walks in the room.

With that said this has bothered me since last week. I wanted to speak to the child and ask her why she doesnt like my daughter. I did not want to make her feel intimitated and didnt want her to cry so I did not say a thing. Again this is still bothering me. My daughter loves school and do not want a child getting in the way of her love for school. My daughter did tell me the girl is mean and is the only one that is not her friend. I wrote a note and will put it in my daughters folder just letting the teacher know. In the time time of bullying prevention I think the teacher should know. Especially when they are so young.

Am I overreacting or am I doing the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly i'd let it go. There are kids like that in my daughters pre school as well and I know as a mom it upsets me when someone is being rude to my baby but kids will be kids and there is always going to be that ONE child that does things like this. Only reason I would step in and do something is if there was any foul language or anything physical involved, and I would be going to the teacher, not the child them self because that will accomplish nothing. Just be proud that your child is sweet and sociable with other children and don't worry about the bad seeds =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yeah, I wouldnt approach the child myself, I would take it to the teacher and the owner of the daycare. Since you heard it first hand and not through a third party, you have every right to bring it to the attention of staff. Thats got to stop. Also follow up with what staff did to fix the situation
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think you're overreacting. Not everyone is going to want to be your daughters friend, even at this age. It doesn't sound like bullying to me. The little girl just said she didn't like her. Kids will go back and forth between being friends and not liking each other.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Not all kids are going to like each other... I think you're overreacting, and should just let it go. It could possibly be that your child isn't nice to the little girl. You don't spend the day with her there, so you don't know what really goes on.
    I'm sure the teacher will clear the air. You can't make everyone like you child, she needs to learn we don't live in a perfect world...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• you are overreacting quite a bit. there is always gonna be a few ppl who don't like her. and i noticed that you voted down everyone who didn't agree with you so you didn't even want real opinions, you just wanted the gratification of being right but the fact is we don't live in a perfect world. all she did was say "i don't like you" and you want to "tattle" on her as kids would say cause thats what kids do
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• have your daughter say something positive to this girl and then see what happens. Its worked with my kids a few times. Sometimes kids are looking for attention in a really odd way and sometimes they just aren't taught how to make friends the right way.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• yep just like i thought. you asked "am i over reacting" and then vote down everyone who says yes...theres a word for that.....TROLLL
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If I were your daughter's preK teacher I would want to know. I would not punish the other child, but I would keep an eye out for other conflicts. I had a boy in my preK class that was telling his parents about the other boys punching and kicking him. After watching the boy I found out they were retaliating to the rough play he was doing. I might have missed the problem if his mom had not come to me. I don't think sending a note to the teacher was wrong, but I don't think you should take it any farther either.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• momof, to be fair, we dont know if it was actually OP that voted down, it could be anybody who didnt agree with the responses. Ya know what I mean? Oh well, next,,,
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:34 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• the vote downs came way too quick to not be the op. they were almost instantly after the answer. you can tell it was the op
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2011