Tulip bulbs, still good to use?

I have a bunch of tulip bulbs that I pulled up from a part of my garden this last summer, because I didn't want them in that area. I put them in a container, uncovered and accidently forgot about them until now. The winter cold has hit them....so are they still good?
Can I still plant them?
When would I do this so they sprout in the spring, if they are still good that is....?
I hope they're still alright!
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 11:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• yes they are good. you want them to freeze they wont sprout unless they freeze. i would plant them as soon as the ground thaws. i used to plant bulbs in the fall in containers and put gravel on top of the soil then put them in the freezer for about 4 or 5 week then take them out and they would start to grow. bulbs need that dormant freeze time to grow.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• They should be OK but may not bloom this year. Worth a try
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• And I meant to say that they should bloom next year.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• yes bulbs are hardy so there wont be a problem .. dont bury them too far down .. if they dont flower this year due to some reason, they will next but if you plant them around march or as soon as the overnight frosts stop youll be good
    i love tulips!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:19 AM on Jan. 24, 2011