When you are in labor and have the urge to push, but your not supposed to yet is that hard to fight, and how long does that urge last?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 11:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It shouldn't last more than a minute.  In my opinion.  The midwife or Dr. can hold your cervix open while you push.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• until the doctor says it's ok!! lololol
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 11:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• O yes it's hard, and it hurts!!! It lasted until I was able to push (twice) and had my daughter......
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• my doc told me to push a lightly because she was still getting her gown and gloves on. but for me the urge didnt stop. they told me to take a little break but i couldnt the urge was too strong.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i cant really remember but i think it lasted about a minute
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I didn't have a problem with it but I did have medication.
    MamaCyjo

Answer by MamaCyjo at 11:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• With DD I had several moments where I wanted to push and yes it hurt like hell. I was severely pissed off with everyone who told me not to push and even more pissed off with dh for agreeing.

But you do what you need to for the benefit of the baby and after its all said and done... and you have that baby in your arms you almost (notice I said ALMOST) forget the pain.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It is very hard to fight it, and u need to untill the dr says ur fully dialated. They had yo give me a saddle block because i kept pushing. I tried fighting it but its inevitable and involuntary... Like holding back a really bad cough.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• okay, so you ladies say it lasts a minute...how often does that minute come back???
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No, it doesn't last a minute..... The reason you feel the need to push is because of where the babies head is, it continues ton hurt u til you've had the baby.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011