19 month old question

How many words does your 19 month old say?
Mine can say about 50 does it sound like he is on track?

mommy2onekid

Asked by mommy2onekid at 11:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That sounds above average to me. My DS says a lot more than his peers and at 19 months he was saying about 60-70 recognizable words. He is almost 21 months olds now and talks non-stop. He has been part of a language development study at a local university for 6 months or so and they have a survey to fill out with a list of words he can say and he is up to about 300 now. So it sounds like your little one is on track to be a talker too..
    jennib88

Answer by jennib88 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 50 words at 19 months is pretty impressive. He is quite a speaker isn't he? :)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• That sounds good.  Every child is going to develop differently and at their own pace.  I wouldn't put too much stock in exactly how many words he is saying.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You are going to be able to understand more because you know him, get what he's trying to say.  That's not uncommon babe.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I remember 19 months well. It was the age my son was when we brought his sister home from the hospital. He had 5 words at best. I believe they were "no mama daddy bay-beeeee and byebyes" he was super slow at speech but eventually caught up just fine. communication was a huge challenge with him
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• some of his words are hard to make out and if someone isn't around him very much they wouldn't even understand him but we work with him everyday, it is mainly small words like hi ,bye, mom,dad, dog ,cat, bird, bye bye. night night. cup etc.
    mommy2onekid

Comment by mommy2onekid (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2011